Alright to ship?

billy28

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was wondering if it would be alright to have some tarantulas shipped to me this week. Its a little bit cold, like high 40's low 50's in the day. I can't afford Express shipping so I would have to do priority. Does anyone think the spiders would be OK?

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was wondering if it would be alright to have some tarantulas shipped to me this week. Its a little bit cold, like high 40's low 50's in the day. I can't afford Express shipping so I would have to do priority. Does anyone think the spiders would be OK?
I'd pony up for express. Properly packed they will probably be fine shipped priority, but that depends on whoever is shipping them to you.

Seriously though, get express.

arañacacata

Arachnopeon
Exactly as he says flamesbane. since the tarantula was packed but rather it has to come correctly I am not in the habit of having many problems in the packagings of españa to here to Argentine it is a long trip only an aphonopelma seemani I come near it lasts as if it was dead and with a loss of front leg for the trip and the cold of here, but on having put it to the stove and to hydrate now much better this one..

I hope that you are lucky

Regards artañacacata :D

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
BILLY BILLY BILLY!!!!!

EXPRESS!!!!!!! Or wait till you get a few extra bucks!

There is nothing worse than getting a critter you are excited to receive only to find its lifeless and dead when you open it. It happened to me once on and MM I bought doing the same thing you are doing and it wrecked me. Never again unless I know who is packing it.

With that being said... NO PEOPLE... a 89 cent handwarmer from walmart isn't enough.... (sorry, had to toss that out there!)

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With that being said... NO PEOPLE... a 89 cent handwarmer from walmart isn't enough.... (sorry, had to toss that out there!)
Hey.. I got lucky last year.. I sent 101 slings.. All packed in a straw.. Aside from one A. metallica.. I used one of those 89 cent handwarmers.. They all made it alive! :eek:

At the time.. I didnt know there were any other kind of heatpacks.. I wont suggest it.. In fact.. It was indeed a bad mistake that could have costed me in the end..

But.. I got lucky!

I just better say this so no one is confused.. As Joe (CAK) said..

NO PEOPLE... a 89 cent handwarmer from walmart isn't enough....
To the OP..

Find out where the spider is being shipped from.. Even using Express through the USPS does not mean it will make it there the next day..

Where I live.. Anywhere I ship to it takes 2 days.. Anyone that is sending me something.. It takes 2 days..

If it is the same case for you.. I suggest using FedEx.. They will make sure it makes it to you the very next day.. Unless of course there is a delay!

For me.. I will not be shipping anything until next year.. As for buying.. Well.. I will make sure its from someone I know has reputable packing skills..

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have had a few packages stuck out in the sticks over the past year.All three were Priority,packed VERY well,and all had a heatpack. One was out for 6 days,the rest 4 and 5 days...The 4 day packages heatpack was still slightly warm when opened,and the spider inside was no worse for wear.( temps were in the 30's,the buyer wanted priority,NOT express)If you can spare the cash,ship Express. If not,pack the crap out of the box,use PLENTY of foam and a heatpack,and it should be just fine.Just mu 2 cents...

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Look out peeps, a certain mod who shall remain nameless saw it fit to dock me a few points for discussing shipping via USPS. I was discussing illegal
acitivty it seems. Because you know we never ever discuss shipping via USPS here.

I never use USPS..it's illegal you know. If it WAS legal, and I did (in theory of course) use USPS, I would always have mine shipped priority.

I've never (I mean I probably would never) have a problem with priority, and I couldn't (in theory of course) stomach a $30 shipping charge.
I this alternate reality where I have all my T's shipped priority (which I never do, and would never advocate here on this board) I would have saved myself hundreds over the years. But I didn't, because I never used the postal service to receive T's in the mail.

If using the USPS was legal, and I had an unusually large order where the penalty for DOA was particularly high, I'd consider using Express, but only if they made it legal, which they haven't...so I would never use it.

Good day.

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Look out peeps, a certain mod who shall remain nameless saw it fit to dock me a few points for discussing shipping via USPS. I was discussing illegal
acitivty it seems. Because you know we never ever discuss shipping via USPS here.

I never use USPS..it's illegal you know. If it WAS legal, and I did (in theory of course) use USPS, I would always have mine shipped priority.

I've never (I mean I probably would never) have a problem with priority, and I couldn't (in theory of course) stomach a $30 shipping charge.
I this alternate reality where I have all my T's shipped priority (which I never do, and would never advocate here on this board) I would have saved myself hundreds over the years. But I didn't, because I never used the postal service to receive T's in the mail.

If using the USPS was legal, and I had an unusually large order where the penalty for DOA was particularly high, I'd consider using Express, but only if they made it legal, which they haven't...so I would never use it.

Good day.
Hahahaha! {D That was awesome

billy28

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Its only from California to Utah.
Should I still go with Express? $30.00 is real steep for shipping in my book. You know? I'm just worried about the cold. Would 50-60 degrees all week be that bad?

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'd say go for priority. 50-60 temps sound ok to me. Maybe include a short-lived heat pack

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Its only from California to Utah.
Should I still go with Express? $30.00 is real steep for shipping in my book. You know? I'm just worried about the cold. Would 50-60 degrees all week be that bad?
Regardless of the shipping method and shipper you choose, the life of your package should be your utmost priority.
If your primary concern is saving buck on your shipping, I beg you to get out of the hobby, and spare the innocent lives of our friends.
Overnight is the only way to show the proper care and respect.

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Regardless of the shipping method and shipper you choose, the life of your package should be your utmost priority.
If your primary concern is saving buck on your shipping, I beg you to get out of the hobby, and spare the innocent lives of our friends.

...bullpucky

billy28

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey man, I would save more by getting live spider. You Dig? If I didn't care whether or not they were alive what would the point of this whole thing be?

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is absurd,and could anger many people here.And slightly offensive as well....

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey man, I would save more by getting live spider. You Dig? If I didn't care whether or not they were alive what would the point of this whole thing be?
I did not say you didn't care. Obviously you do, or you would not have asked the question. You do seem overly concerned with the cost of shipping, though. I merely tried to point out that you should put the lives of the tarantulas being shipped first. The less time they spend in transit, the better off they will be. I agree that shipping can be expensive, but is something we have to bear until we can come up with a better alternative. I was not trying to be cruel, or offensive, but merely wanted express my concern for the lives of tarantulas.
Just like the others said, you should put up the dough for faster sipping, and be sure to have quality heat packs used in the packaging.

That is absurd,and could anger many people here.And slightly offensive as well....
...bullpucky
As for you two, the first six replies were in the same line of thought as I; pony up the dough for faster shipping. Just because I am wiling to express my extreme concern for the care of tarantulas, or any living creatures for that matter, does not mean I am an evil person, nor does it mean I am trying "offend" or attack anyone.
While tarantulas mat be hardy creatures, that does not mean we should push them to their limits. I insist on over night shipping for Ts I receive, and will only use over night to ship out any of my Ts.

Le Wasp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What kind of warmer would you recommend?

SK8TERBOI

Arachnopeon
As others have already said I would Either pay the extra for Express or No order at all that's always better than opening a Box of Frozen T's