Already hooked...

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's been 3 days since ive gotten my first T.. And...Well... I WANT MORE!!! :D I dont want anything that will bite my hand off if i try and clean its cage or drop a cricket in their. I want something that will grow fast, so ill be able to learn more about T's faster than the only one i got ( Have to wait 13 years for it to fully mature:eek: ). And like anyone else, i want a T that tooks awesome :) I Dont know if im asking for a wide search of T's... or a very small list, so any suggestions would be helpful.

Ian

ACoopBB24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
just a suggestion

my personal suggestion would be a Lasiodora parahybana.... it grows HUGE, its inexpensive as a sling, grows fast, eats a lot. But it does need more humidity than some.

I love my little one!

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry for the delay

Its a Highway 10 Desert blond ( Aphonopelma). lives up to 40 years... and growth is slow.. and i heard someone say it takes 15 years to fully mature.. or close to it. dont know if it makes a diff... but its a new world terrestrial burrower :p I Have no more info on my little sheet... just says 75-80* F and low 60 to 70% humidity.

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
just to throw in

If you diddnt already know..er.. i have no idea what im talking about :D. i just got a piece of paper from this site about my T. So if any of that made any sence to you, im pleased with myself :}

Ian

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think that Ian got the idea that it may that that long to mature from our visit today at my house. I showed him a A. sp. sling I got from a burrow in Tucson last May. Its 3/8" and has only molted once, today. Thats 9 months and one molt.
Then we were looking at a A. schmidti I wild caught last spring. She is an adult female. He asked me how old I thought she was, and I guessed about 15 years.
These T's are IMO about the slowest growing T's out there.

Ernie

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Suggestion

What about a B Smithi? Pretty docile and they grow pretty big. I am not sure about the growth rate but I think that they are one of the most beautifull T's out there.

-Charlie

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Someone.. cant remember who, said like 15 years to mature fully, and when you said that one spider was 9 months old and it just molted today.. and it was 3/8's... it kinda confermed my question about how long it takes... i really dont know that much about T's.. lol, as you can tell... But i thought i heard you say that that T was the same kindof T as mine, so i dunno... oOo! lol i think my T's eating the cricket you threw in ernie, lol sister just came in here tellin me, brb imma go check it out :D

Ian

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I thought the longest tarantula lifespan ever was around 25-30 years? :?
I think by a B.smithi if memory serves me.

Mark

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

I would get either a:

*Green Bottle Blue (C.cyaneopubescens)
*Antilles Pinktoe (A.versicolor)

I think they have a medium growth and Scott rates them by expeirience to 4-5 level! So they also have beautiful colors!
Good Luck!

James

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dangerous?

Is it docile n calm? Since im just beginning id like to hold all the T's i get before i move into things i WONT be able to hold ;)

Ian

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Re: Dangerous?

Originally posted by DiStUrBeD-OnE
Is it docile n calm? Since im just beginning id like to hold all the T's i get before i move into things i WONT be able to hold ;)

Ian
The versi's are docile and calm and can get skittish,
I guess a Green Bottle Blue is just nervous, but as slings they should be fine! Hope this helps!

James