Almost Had The Nerve!!

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I opened the top of my 7 1/2 L. Parahybana to fill the water dish and in a matter of seconds she was up on the wall. I got her to go on the top of the enclosure and put her on the floor. She was centimeters from walking on my hand but I wimped out. Been dying to try to let her walk on my hand, but the fangs, welllllll. Anyone had success handling one without getting tagged???

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I opened the top of my 7 1/2 L. Parahybana to fill the water dish and in a matter of seconds she was up on the wall. I got her to go on the top of the enclosure and put her on the floor. She was centimeters from walking on my hand but I wimped out. Been dying to try to let her walk on my hand, but the fangs, welllllll. Anyone had success handling one without getting tagged???
Yes i did that yesterday with my big but not yet fullgrown T. Apophysis and it went well. It was a "spur of the moment thing" pretty much like you;) But i will never do it again, as soon as i put her up to her enclosure she turned on me and tryid to fang me;( So i guess i cant recommend handling Apophysis lol. She has a nasty temper, and i knew that, but i could not resist the temptation when she climbed my hand. So for the rare occasition i do handle, i keep to me cutie.... my rosie;)

Brettus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got her to go on the top of the enclosure and put her on the floor.
A lot of OW's become a lot less defensive when they are removed from their tank-I suppose they're no longer defending their burrow. Does the same apply for NW's like L. Parahybana?

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
someone on this forum used to have a pretty docile L.p. that was over the 8" mark...Bearcat? Bearskin? Something like that. There shoudl still be pics up in one of the handling threads if you do a search :)

I wouldn't try it with my 7" L.p....mainly because of the fangs, and also because of the attitude lol

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
wow apophysis...u got balls hehe :worship: :worship:
hehe didnt feel like it at the time i tried, i was extrremely nervous, just didnt show it to the Apophysis lol. I was shaking a lot after the experience, and i WONT do it anymore;)

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i handled my 8" l. parahybana for about 10 minutes when i did a presentation at the spiderman 3 release. if you get them out of the tank all right and don't breathe on them or move quickly, they are a pretty ok species to handle if you chose to (i normally don't btw). just don't startle them.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A lot of OW's become a lot less defensive when they are removed from their tank-I suppose they're no longer defending their burrow. Does the same apply for NW's like L. Parahybana?
Yes. I've handled all of my new world terrestrials except X. immanis (too skittish). Acually my G. iheringi is harder to handle than A. geniculata. :)

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think you just should take her out of the enclosure and then let her walk on to your hand at her own pace. It should work, they are normally less aggressive when they are out. Just do it close to the ground so she cant get hurt and have a cup to catch her with if she tries to run away;-)

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I am gonna try again soon and will have someone standing by with a camera for a pic.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I held about 70 L. difficilis yesterday... :D Of course, they are only half inch long.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
yeah...but it was ALL at ONE time...right? *nudge nudge* ;)

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use to hold my adult 8 - 9 inch Goliath (T. Blondi ) back when I was in the hobby, Although I didn't seem that hard at the time, now I look back and think that it was a dumb move, I never got bitten or sprayed with hairs by my T. Blondi, in fact I have been haired to the point where my hand tripped in size when I was cleaning out a brachypelma Smithi. But my Blondi never really was that defensive. Although I don't recommend, or encourage people to handle something that can stick it's Fangs through your hand completely.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Although I don't recommend, or encourage people to handle something that can stick it's Fangs through your hand completely.
ya know...I always knew the fangs were big on them puppies (heck, my 7" L.p.'s fangs look to be over 1/2") but I never thought it in that manner. :eek:

*looks at L. parahybana and wishes it would hurry up and reach full size* (I'm guessing maybe 2.5-3 more years...)

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am gonna try again soon and will have someone standing by with a camera for a pic.
ya good idea, i wish got a better pic with me and my apophysis, but i did in the night when i had a sudden form of courage to just go with it, so the pic is way to dark to see:mad:

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Let us know how it goes if/when you decide to do it?

And we would like to hear it in this thread and NOT in the bite reports section.

;-)

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the guy in the local pet shop has a parahybana...it looks at least 8" and it doesnt even flick hairs...when he touches it it just slowly walks forward

mine is almost 6" and much faster and flicks hairs most the time...if i put something near it it strikes

Orchidspider

Arachnopeon
Ive gotten my parahybana to get on my hand by coaxing her with a piece of paper or card board and she just moved foward. If you try to catch them your in trouble, but if they feel that all they are really doing is moving on to another surface thats the trick-- and to keep your hand still so they dont think their support is going to give way-- then they start to freak out- and with good reason! Its just keeping up your nerve-- thats the hard part!