Allergic to T hairs

Big_nito

TRISKELION
Old Timer
i know people have different reactions or sensitivity to T hairs. But my question is, is there a possibility that after some sensitivity issues or allergic reactions to T hairs, your body would get immune to it?

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
No, it will get worse and worse and worse. Some new world keepers cant continue with them so they either switch to old world or quit the hobby

psykoink

Arachnopeon
I think you stay sensitive to the hairs physically, but mentally learn how to ignore it and deal with it better over time. I know with my T. blondi's I react the same physically now as I did when I was a kid (hives, rash, ridiculous urge to rip my skin from the bone), but I'm learning to ignore it more. So I guess you become mentally immune or tolerant in some sort of way. The more you think about the ich it makes you want to scratch more.

Chris

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's true. Once you are exposed, the reactions gets worse from there on out.

But, if you stuck with the "real deal" and only did OW, you wouldn't have to worry about it anyway. ;) lol

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just posted this on another thread, but I had little to no reaction to urticating hairs for 15 years, and then (over the last year) have developed much more severe reactions. So in my experience, I've developed a sensitivity rather than become immune. This has caused me to avoid certain species (Theraphosa spp., B. boehmi) but won't ever scare me away from NW. :D

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just posted this on another thread, but I had little to no reaction to urticating hairs for 15 years, and then (over the last year) have developed much more severe reactions. So in my experience, I've developed a sensitivity rather than become immune. This has caused me to avoid certain species (Theraphosa spp., B. boehmi) but won't ever scare me away from NW. :D
you are lucky, then. only four years being exposed to Grammostola spp. and a few months shy of a year with Brachypelma, and already have terrible reactions.

OP: like all others said, you either suffer through it, collect OWs instead or get out of the hobby. i'm eventually opting situation number two in my case. the rashes i get from my brachys are too remincent of the hives i used to get as a kid, and i don't enjoy reliving that experience personally.

ryancreek

Arachnopeon
i know people have different reactions or sensitivity to T hairs. But my question is, is there a possibility that after some sensitivity issues or allergic reactions to T hairs, your body would get immune to it?
An allergy IS your immune system responding in a hypersensitive, excessive way. IgE antibodies encounter the allergen, then cause mast cells to release too much histamine. With each subsequent exposure, your immune response may become stronger as your body tries to fight off the threat.

The best thing to do is avoid exposure. Use disposable gloves and a simple mask if you need to in order to care for your T's. Use an antihistamine cream and keep benadryl handy in case of a bad reaction.