ahhhh cricket crisis!

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i just got a dozen crickets for my new t. blondi and he/she bolted straight for the roof of the critter keeper!
is this too stressful for him??? should i take a few of the crickets out?

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
for my biggest i put about 1 and a half to 2 dozen if he hasnt eaten in a while....he seems to do just fine.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
OH DEAR! I'd run to the top of my cage too!! If she is THAT big and eats THAT much, have you tried pinkies?

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well my t. blondi is only an inch big...but i just took 7 of the crickets out of the tank...so that should calm her/him down a bit.

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i heard you should never put that much in it will frighten it and confuse it that many movement my A. Geniculata i only put 1 in at a time

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The max I put in with any of ours at once is three.
It's easier to toss in a few more then chase around and take a bunch back out.
And less stressful for the T.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
ONE AT A TIME! Crickets CAN gang up on a T and start munching on her! If she eats one... put in another one... and so on and so on and so on until she ignores them. If you need to buy large quantities to prevent long drive to the pet store... you GOTTA have another tank for the crix.

I buy pinheads, meds and larges, put them all in a 10 gallon fish tank with cut up oranges, potatoes, whatever (fruit or veggie with high water content)... and a paper egg crate to hide in. When it's time to feed, I just dip in the pill bottle (WISH it was that easy!) and take out ONLY WHAT I NEED.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep our pinheads and smalls in one tub and the med. to larges in another.
Take out a few and fed away.
The twins feed their T's daily so I buy alot at once.
But a dozen at once for a one inch sling?
That would just be overwhelming for the little thing.

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wait wait wait!!!!!!! its ok, i have about 4 crickets in there...PLUS she/he already took one out :)!!!!! how about that! a 1 inch t. blondi took out a large cricket!

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You shouldn't just drop crickets in with your T blondi, instead you should only put what it can handle in the encloser at a time. I find it differs with difrent tarantulas, my G rosea will only eat them 2 at a time, on the other hand my G areostriata can take six large crickets at on time in its fangs.

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
it may be your money but your buying a living animal with a life! remember that your chucking 12 crickets in at once ofcause the sling is gonna run for the hills.......just be a bit more careful plus it dont need that many in one day and i should imagine at that size it wont eat that much in one day never leave crickets in there for more than a day if it doesnt eat them within a day it doesnt want to eat them and they will stress out the T. if you dont take it out :)

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Static_69
how about that! a 1 inch t. blondi took out a large cricket!
hold the phone, your feeding large crickets to a one inch blondi?:eek: I know they can take large meals, but if your going to feed it big crickets do it one at a time for the sake of saftey. I wouldn't put four at a time in there if for the simple reason that a sling can not handle four adult crickets at one time.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
What exactly do you mean by large crickets. Large compared to other crickets or large compared to the sling? Feeding too large prey (especially crickets) is a good way to get your T killed even if it is a blondi and especially if you are feeding 1 1/2 to 2 dozen at a time.

Scott

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
And, as in my case, the damn things could give birth in the enclosure and you could have billions of tiny, hungry crickets in with her.

I was thinking, in nature, on of the Ts worst enemies are ants. Becaause of their sheer numbers, they can easily kill and eat a T. Maybe yours instinctively shrank away thinking there was a "swarm" of something coming to eat her!:(

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well i did as you guys told and took the crickets out..there is 2 in there now, well 1 if you dont count the one it ate :p....and she seems to be doing fine now, she has herself a little ditch-like eating area in the corner too. and no she's not scrunched up in that corcer she's fully stretched out :)

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good. :)
Glad to hear she's relaxed now.
I know you got zanged and lectured but in the long run I think you'd rather have a fat sassy blondi then a few fat sassy crickets after they eat your little blondi.
Let her take out the one left if she does.
Then ive her one more.
If the crickets are large, then they are as big as she is prolly.
She might not even eat the second one Today or tonight.
Maybe tomarrow. But if she's hasn't wolfed down the second one by the time you check on her take it out and give her a break. Then offer her another later.
But remove it after a while if she doesn't eat it.
You don't want a big hungry cricket stalking your full bellied blondi.
Crickets are Nasty SOB's.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, never put that many crickets in the tank with a T. It will frighten the T alot. I out one at a time with my s'lings and at most 3 or 4 with my big T's.

Andy

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nixy,
this blondi must be on a eating binge because she just took the two crickets i had in there out one after another, dragged them to her "death pit" (a little ditch she has in the corner), and is eating them both now...:)

and the lecturing is nothing new, remember i'm a 14 (15 years old tomorrow) guy here, i get lectured everyday lol....i dont think of it so much as lecturing i think of it more as constructive criticism.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:D
Glad she's eating so good and congrates.
I just sit on the better safe then sorry side. :)

And happy birthday in advance!