Agnes won't eat.

Jvice

Arachnopeon
I've had my desert blond tarantula Agnes for 2 years now, she was estimated to be about 5 when I got her. She molted once a few weeks after I first got her. She hasn't eaten in about a year. I've offered her different types of food 4 times a month and she won't take anything I give her. I'm actually surprised she's still alive. She also has a bald spot which I know is typical especially if she kicks of her hairs but she is a pretty docile spider and she never really kicks her hairs. Any advice would be awesome.

Attachments

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I wouldn't handle her. But if you are going to you should do it close to the ground over a soft surface. Crawling up your arm at that height is asking for a fall and a dead spider.

Regarding the feeding, the abdomen seems Plump enough. I would not worry too much about it. Could be pre-molt. Could also be the result of overeating in the past. If it acquired enough sustenance then it is possible that it went into a fast. The Grammostolas are usually the ones that are famous for their fasts but any species can fast for any number of reasons.

In your case, because it is plump enough I would not be too concerned. You can try offering food once a week and if it doesn't take it just remove the item and try again next week.

Make sure that it always has access to a water dish. Especially if it ends up molting.

Keep an eye on that bald patch on the abdomen. If you see it darkening up then you will know for sure a molt is approaching. Also keep an eye out for a molting mat.

Last edited:

Jvice

Arachnopeon
Thank you for your advice. I wasn't aware she would molt with how long she's been without food. Ill be sure to keep an eye on her bald spot. So the fact that she hasn't eaten in almost a year shouldn't concern me since she doesn't seem to have lost any weight? I feel bad that she's gone so long without eating. She does have a good size water bowl in her habitat that I do see her in on occasion so we're good on the water front. Thank you again for your advice, anymore you might have would be greatly appreciated. I'm a first time tarantula owner and I just want to do what's best for her.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you for your advice. I wasn't aware she would molt with how long she's been without food. Ill be sure to keep an eye on her bald spot. So the fact that she hasn't eaten in almost a year shouldn't concern me since she doesn't seem to have lost any weight? I feel bad that she's gone so long without eating. She does have a good size water bowl in her habitat that I do see her in on occasion so we're good on the water front. Thank you again for your advice, anymore you might have would be greatly appreciated. I'm a first time tarantula owner and I just want to do what's best for her.
Sure thing. Take a couple of pictures of the whole enclosure. If anything seems amiss we can point it out so that it's no longer a hazard.

Regarding the feeding, it's not like prey is not being offered. If it wanted to it would grab it.

One of the top things being a tarantula owner teaches a person is the concept of patience. Very often this is a "hurry up and wait" hobby.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
yup, tarantulas metabolisms are extremely slow. i feed some of my adults once maybe twice a month, they stay fat and of course have water available 24/7. Aphonopelma chalcodes, which is what yours looks to be, are notoriously slow growers. i wouldnt be surprised if she didnt eat another 6 months.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Given her size, she's probably an older gal, not just 7ish. Grannies slow down on the chow. I bet she just got nice and fat and is exercising some restraint now.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've heard of Ts going 2 years without eating. When mine go into premolt/not hungry mode, I usually only try feeding them once every 2-4 weeks.

As long as you have water in there, I'd just sit back and wait it out!

Jvice

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys. I'm feeling a lot better about her not eating. Here's a couple pictures of her enclosure. Let me know if I'm doing anything wrong or if I could improve on something.

Attachments

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Thanks guys. I'm feeling a lot better about her not eating. Here's a couple pictures of her enclosure. Let me know if I'm doing anything wrong or if I could improve on something.
The enclosure looks fantastic, i like your style. The only thing I'm concerned about is your lid. The tarsal claws(feet) of tarantulas are susceptible to getting stuck in the screen lid and they can just kinda hang there, or end up losing a leg. I can't really tell if that's what your using but just wanted to let you know if that's the case. Enjoy your T!

Jvice

Arachnopeon
The enclosure looks fantastic, i like your style. The only thing I'm concerned about is your lid. The tarsal claws(feet) of tarantulas are susceptible to getting stuck in the screen lid and they can just kinda hang there, or end up losing a leg. I can't really tell if that's what your using but just wanted to let you know if that's the case. Enjoy your T!
Thanks!
It is a screen lid. Would a piece of plexiglass cut to size with ventilation wholes be something I could do or is there a better alternative?

louise f

Arachnoangel
The enclosure looks fine. A piece of plexiglass would do.
And dont worry to much about your T does not eat, i had a G.rosea once she didn`t eat anything for over a year. Just make sure she has access to water all times.
Wish you the best of luck.
And BTW you said it has a bald spot, sometimes when they have that bald spot you can sometimes see when it starts to darken up and get all black and shiny just before a molt. :)