Ages/life stages of millipede molts?

Stephlet87

Arachnopeon
Hello, I recently purchased a Cameroon matt black millipede who is around 6 months old apparently. What ages do they tend to molt? I ask as I am concerned that I might disturb it when molting one time and it will affect its health and growth. Is there a sort of timeline when they typically molt or specific signs to look out for? I know they may bury themselves but they also do this as prefer to hide this way at times, so how do you tell the difference and know whether to check it's alive or just molting?

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I'm not the best person to answer this but I do know there is some variance with health, age, etc. Someone else will answer more completely for you.

I have learned it is NEVER a good idea to dig in the substrate. It can be fatal to a molting millipede. Also, if you ever decide to breed them, those pedelings are SO tiny! You could easily crush them with even a light touch.

I'm not at all familiar with your species, but it sounds exciting - good luck!

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have learned it is NEVER a good idea to dig in the substrate. It can be fatal to a molting millipede. Also, if you ever decide to breed them, those pedelings are SO tiny! You could easily crush them with even a light touch.
In my limited esperience (~2.5-3 years of keeping millipedes) it is difficult to provide exact timelines for millipede molts. They vary greatly with species, age, etc, as the above poster said. While some species are much more forgiving of mid-molt disturbances than others, I also agree that avoiding excavation into the substrate is the best policy. Though I have felt the same anxious impulse to dig for a missing myriapod, I try to remind myself of the following:
"If the millipede is fine, digging can cause it to be otherwise. If it is dead, digging won't help."