age of slow growth spider

chilean

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Newb question: I bought a g. rosea at a pet store (maybe I was fooled or maybe they don't know much about Ts), but the T is roughly 2" long (body length), the legs seem proportionate to her size roughly 1.5" - 2" each. They said it was a little over 6 months old, but now that i know more, I highly doubt it. How long does it take a g. rosea to get that big (it's age)? I heard they were slow growth!? I found a breeder in Montreal (thanks to those who recommended), I know i'll be buying my future Ts there.
I would post pics, but i don't know how.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Man it could be 1yr old or 4 years old. A lot depends on the environment it was being kept at and the feeding schedule, but even with those two factors out of the picture there is no denying those Ts grow sllllloooowwwww!

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a young one that's about 2 1/2 inchs and I've had around a year now and it's only molted once since I've had it. At that size and smaller, most t's will molt multiple times a year. I've got two slings too and they've only molted once and the last 45 day's I've had them. sssslllllllloooooooowwwwwww.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
it really depends on conditions the spider has grown in

at that size i would say 1-20 years is not unreasonable.

1 year for a male who found everything it needs in the wild... 20 for a female who was living in the worst spot possible

i would say 2-8 years is a more reasonable range.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, they really are slow. Lucky for me I got an adult fem just over half her max size. I seriouly don't know if I could wait that long. :)

AfterTheAsylum

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Newb question: I bought a g. rosea at a pet store (maybe I was fooled or maybe they don't know much about Ts), but the T is roughly 2" long (body length), the legs seem proportionate to her size roughly 1.5" - 2" each. They said it was a little over 6 months old, but now that i know more, I highly doubt it. How long does it take a g. rosea to get that big (it's age)? I heard they were slow growth!? I found a breeder in Montreal (thanks to those who recommended), I know i'll be buying my future Ts there.
I would post pics, but i don't know how.
So you are saying each leg is about 1.5 to 2 inches? So it is like a 4 inch spider?

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got a G. rosea almost 3 months ago. She was about 1.5" then, and now, 3 months and one molt later, she's a whopping 1.5". If she grew any slower, she'd be getting smaller haha.

chilean

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
size?

when the T is measured by inches, is it measured by body or including leg span?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's leg span from the tip of the first leg of one side to the tip of the last leg on the opposite side. (diagonal)

barkobarko

Arachnopeon
rosie

me to, when i got him/her its only 1", after 3 molts she reached 2"(4 months later).........yeah slow but sooooooo hardy.........;P

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have seven g. rosea slings I've had from hatching. The biggest one is 1.5". They are fed once a week. And are about 2 years old. From what I know thats pretty average. But I'm sure it varies some. I also have one that is just about 1/2 " from the same bunch.
So if I'm reading it correctly yours is some where between 4 and 6 ". I dont think its 6 month's old.