AGB starter advice needed...

LadyNai

Arachnopeon
As I manage to read practically everything before I do something, now I ask...

I work as an OE teacher and love millipedes. I looked around at the African Giants at Petco today (and My mother who is my usual pet sitter put her foot down on the tarantula *pouts*)..

Anyway, my question is on housing -- I was looking at these and similar -- http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Pro...v_256_N_27+122_sku_871591_familyID_10669.aspx -- the largest one, not the small one.

Is this appropriate? The reason I was looking at these is so if I'm going to my parents for a weekend or want to bring it out around the kids at the camp I work for then I want a slightly more indestructible cage...

Thanks!

Nai

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The biggest one should be just big enough for a single AGB, but I'd suggest going a bit bigger if you can. Especially if you decide to get more than one.

Also, with the screen top, you'll have to work a little harder to keep humidity up.

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I Keep my AG's in a 20q Sterlite Tub, The humidity stays high enough and they dont cost NEAR as much as the KK's Do...I'd look into that if you are going to be buying more than one as well, definatly a lot of floor space in those! Good Luck with them!

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I keep my 5 in a 10 gallon tank with no problem. I eventually plan on keeping 10 in there.

Here's a pic of my setup.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=82099&highlight=my+AGB+enclosure

If you want babies, you're going to need wood and calcium powder. If not, then friuts, veggies and dog food will suffice.

NEVER change the substrate with these guys if you're trying to breed. Mould doesn't seem to hurt them, although if it's the green clumpy kind I'd spot clean.

Keep the tank moist and you'll be OK. The substrate should be a chocolate brown if you use cocobark (which is what I reccomend).

I accomplish this by adding water only to one corner of the tank.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In addition to humidity problems, the plastic terrariums are also fairly fragile, while the clear storage containers aren't. Also, don't trust the handles of the plastic terrearium, the whole top will pop off and dump the contents.

If portability is key, consider the sterilite "show off" container, with snap-on lids. The lid can easily be ventilated with a few holes.

Wade

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah the large KKs dont even have handles on them. but if you want to show them off I guess having them visible in the tank would be a good thing.. though it isnt like you cant take the AGBs out to show everyone :)

LadyNai

Arachnopeon
I don't know about breeding just yet.

And yeah, I plan on taking them out. Hands on education is my thing.

I'll do the clear sterilite thing then... Sounds cheaper and easier to deal with-- have one at camp but there's no lid on it -- we kept crayfish in it last fall. (Kids love those too!)

Thanks!

Nai