AGB millipede males trying to mate?

HexaDiplo

Arachnopeon
I have two giant african millipedes, and I have had them for a year now. All this time they've behaved strangely. Because it looks like the larger one is trying to mate with the other smaller one, and is giving a "massage" on his back.
Has somebody else experienced this? And is this ordinary behaviour?
They have a large terrarium with plenty of nutritious soil, so i dont know why they are doing it.

Some pictures of them:
20161205_185316-1_resized.jpg 20161203_161337-1.jpg

mickiem

Arachnoprince
It sounds like mating behavior. You say they have been doing this for a year? Sounds odd that they would not have laid eggs by now. Are they of mature age? Maybe you have eggs below that you aren't seeing?

HexaDiplo

Arachnopeon
It sounds like mating behavior. You say they have been doing this for a year? Sounds odd that they would not have laid eggs by now. Are they of mature age? Maybe you have eggs below that you aren't seeing?
They are both males. The largest one is 20 cm. And I have checked it many times! So this is strange I think.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I just reread this post and saw MALES in the title. Duh. Sorry, I'm not that oblivious normally. :embarrassed:

Marika

Arachnoangel
I have another question :bookworm:
Do they enjoy doing this, or is this unhealthy for the smaller one?
Well, if the larger one is constantly trying to mate with the smaller one and is very persistent with it, then it could be stressful for the smaller one. If it's something that only happens every now and then and/or the smaller one doesn't seem to mind, then it should be ok. It hasn't really been a regular thing with my pedes, except when I had a group of Colossobolus giganteus males, they were all over each other :D.