After-molt psychotic Rosie

G

Gillian

Hi all,
Yes, I'm still here..*g* Ok, my rosie (my first t), finally had her 1st molt with me. The leaky leg is gone, with a small one in place. I was looking forward to being able to handle her (carefully), however, she has copped quite the Usumbara-like attitude.
It has been about 6 weeks since the molt. Any suggestions? Is this normal? She and the other 16 are kept in their own room, no pet pesterings.
Thanks,
Gillian
p.s., Also, I have a H. maculata (young juvie), that will need to be moved soon. Any ideas? Little bugger moves QUICK!

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Are you 200% sure it's a rosie? Heh. I've seen plenty of spiders that look JUST like rosies but are a little on the mean side. (Don't ask what, I can't remember the name.)

Or..well..Rosies are notorious for not doing what's expected of them

G

Gillian

Psycho Rosie

Nick,
Yep, she's a rosie all right. You know, their high degree of unpredictability is what I love so much about them....
Gillian

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
hi gillian:
if you need to move a psycho T, you can get a heavy freezer bag to pull it off. take the T's cage and seal (as best you can) the bag around one edge (if you've got a slide-off or pop-top cage) and tease the T til it scoots into the bag. then hold it closed quick, tho it shouldn't matter, they can't run on plastic too well. you can then do the reverse treatment on its new cage. if its in a small cage, you can pu tthe whole thing in a large bag and tease the T out while it's entirely closed, taking any chance out of it.
i've moved about 50 T's like this with no problem ever. it's nice. i've done it other ways, but you gotta know the T well.
as far as crazy rosies go, they all have their own personalities, and who knows with rosies. they can change from molt to molt. i had a crazy one that molted into a mellow one that will let itself be held. who can say?
well, it's good to be back posting insanely long responses again.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Maybe the Rosy if feeling pretty good now there's no leaks and is just being overly excited and frisky? One of my adults is a petrock and the other is nosy and always wanting to see how far it can go. Maybe work with her a little for a few minutes daily and see if there is a reversal in the attitude. Then there are always the ones that haven't read their caresheets though and don't know they are supposed to be docile.

As for the little one, my last experience with her, well, like you said she is really very fast on her toes. I would put her in the fridge for a few minutes and chill her out myself, or in the bath tub with an extra deli cup and a long wooden spoon to steer her with. I've read the can't climb the tubs lining, but I can't tell you this for sure. It does put you and her in a small location if it does get away from you and a better chance of recapture. Doing the chill down in the fridge, I would put it in for 5 minutes and the check every few minutes afterwards to see if she's down to a nice slow temp and not in her best track form. My 3 siblings are all needing new homes too and I'll be going through the same thing you are. I plan on them going into their adult housing and making sure I fix dinner well enough it is easy to find. Let me know how your moves go and I'll tell you about mine. I also get to move 2 Usumbara baboons too. I'm thinking Xanax =D :D =D

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
My Rosie tried to bite me earlier when i tried to give her some water. I must have spooked her. lol.