AFS humidity and temperature

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
What little I can recall from a conversation at N.C.M. University yesterday.

The median temperature of the top 1500 mm of the soil throughout the country averages 10.5 to 14.5 C, 51 to 58 F year round. During the months of December until the end of May the moisture content of the soil averages .2% then from the first of June until the end of July moves up to 3-7%. This directly correlates with the activity of the animal species reliant upon the uppermost soil layers.

So the theory; keeping the substrate moist will result in greater activity of the AFS. Whether this is beneficial or detrimental to the species survival and life longevity has not been determined.
Something for the keepers of various species to study.

Last edited:

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince

The median temperature of the top 1500 cm of the soil throughout the country averages 10.5 to 14.5 C, 51 to 58 F year round. During the months of December until the end of May the moisture content of the soil averages .2% then from the first of June until the end of July moves up to 3-7%. This directly correlates with the activity of the animal species reliant upon the uppermost soil layers.

So the theory; keeping the substrate moist will result in greater activity of the AFS. Whether this is beneficial or detrimental to the species survival and life longevity has not been determined.
From personal experience, proper substrate moisture and depth + proper temps has had 100% success in preventing terminal hyperthermia, terminal dehydration (both Heterometrinae and Pandininae have a high transpiration rate much much higher than all semi-arid and arid species) and prevents bad stuck molts by keeping the exuvium both pliable and moist for the whole duration of the molt from start to finish.

The Snark

Old Timer
(both Heterometrinae and Pandininae have a high transpiration rate much much higher than
Seems the rule is, first and foremost, determining the needs of the individual animal kept and then build up the interior of the terrarium to best suit those needs. The opposite of the common terrarium where aesthetics runs and rules.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Seems the rule is, first and foremost, determining the needs of the individual animal kept and then build up the interior of the terrarium to best suit those needs. The opposite of the common terrarium where aesthetics runs and rules.
Absolutely aesthetics should never come before the needs. That is literally putting the cart before the horse which can potentially result in a stressed unhappy pet or a dead one.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince

The median temperature of the top 1500 cm of the soil throughout the country averages 10.5 to 14.5 C, 51 to 58 F year round. During the months of December until the end of May the moisture content of the soil averages .2% then from the first of June until the end of July moves up to 3-7%. This directly correlates with the activity of the animal species reliant upon the uppermost soil layers.

A few pointers,

1500 cms = 49.16 feet,
I can't see anything wanting to burrow anywhere near that depth.

10-14 centigrade,
The only thing that will survive at those temperatures are Salamanders and the odd other amphibians.

So anything that burrows instinctively would not survive, apart from the above mentioned.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
I agree that 1500 cm does not give an accurate representation of the environment occupied by Heterometrus sp.
If you were to look at the top 50 cm, I think you would get a lot closer.

I also wonder how and why they determined that. Are you sure it wasn't 150 cm (1500 mm)?

Last edited:

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
I corrected. mm. 1.5 meters. Mean farthest extent of transient bioactivity. Temperature is correct, 10.5 to 14.5 C = 51 to 58 F
That makes more sense. Still, I expect Heterometrus would only occupy the top 50 cm or so.
This is data for Thailand?

The Snark

Old Timer
That makes more sense. Still, I expect Heterometrus would only occupy the top 50 cm or so.
The study being performed by the class (environmental science, second year, field study) is in part taking a census of animal presence from the decomposition layer down, lowest 10% discarded. Termite and ant populations tend to skew the data dramatically but cannot be excluded since they have an integral role in most of the bio-activity of the survey scope.
This is data for Thailand?
Yes, the entire country to the borders.

ForTW

Arachnobaron
I corrected. mm. 1.5 meters. Mean farthest extent of transient bioactivity. Temperature is correct, 10.5 to 14.5 C = 51 to 58 F
Trivia: Centigrade was changed to Celsius in 1948 due to terminology conflict. Centigrade means 100 degrees (gradients).
Wow, Pandinus soil was measured about 30-33°C.
14°C? So ist takes them 10 years to mature in the wild?xD

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Wow, Pandinus soil was measured about 30-33°C.
14°C? So ist takes them 10 years to mature in the wild?xD
These temperatures were measured up to 1,5 meters down, so the top layers occupied by Heterometrus should be a lot warmer.
The 30-33⁰C is probably the top layer. If you go down 1,5 meters in west Africa, you'll also reach much cooler temperatures.
So again, I don't think these findings tell us much about Heterometrus ecology specifically.

ForTW

Arachnobaron
The measurements were exactly where the Hunters dug the specimen up.

Heterometrus digs Up to 50cm (Not straight down), i agreed, it's probably warmer.

The Snark

Old Timer
Does anyone have a link to the study?
The preliminary findings are presently being assembled and correlated. First minor problem; the geology department is involved producing a report where the two will interface. I'm keeping a close eye on things as they develop there. The wrench in the works is getting a proper professional translation ...................................... before the government steps in.
Both the Ministry of the Interior and Ministry of Tourism mandatorlly must give all scientific studies their approval and since some of the research was conducted in royal project areas it may require approval of the Privy Council before release. Nothing may be published that can possibly besmirch or denigrate the country or HRH. (Keeping Thailand entrenched in the scientific dark ages seems to be the gov. motto).

As an aside, it is hard to believe the government can be so fussy and sensitive, especially considering their former King who founded the royal projects and moved the country away from opium production, and the accolades and awards he racked up.
Take a look: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_titles_and_honours_of_Bhumibol_Adulyadej

Last edited:

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
The measurements were exactly where the Hunters dug the specimen up.

Heterometrus digs Up to 50cm (Not straight down), i agreed, it's probably warmer.
The OP stated that the median soil temperature at 150cms ( 1.5 mtrs. ) fom December until May was 12.5
( 10.5-14.5 ).

As Joey says the fact that Heterometrus will stay in the top soil levels, probably no lower than 30-40 cms under leaf litter or rocks, doesn't really relate to the findings given.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
The preliminary findings are presently being assembled and correlated. First minor problem; the geology department is involved producing a report where the two will interface. I'm keeping a close eye on things as they develop there. The wrench in the works is getting a proper professional translation ...................................... before the government steps in.
Both the Ministry of the Interior and Ministry of Tourism mandatorlly must give all scientific studies their approval and since some of the research was conducted in royal project areas it may require approval of the Privy Council before release. Nothing may be published that can possibly besmirch or denigrate the country or HRH. (Keeping Thailand entrenched in the scientific dark ages seems to be the gov. motto).

As an aside, it is hard to believe the government can be so fussy and sensitive, especially considering their former King who founded the royal projects and moved the country away from opium production, and the accolades and awards he racked up.
Take a look: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_titles_and_honours_of_Bhumibol_Adulyadej
i see
isn't the current king living in Bayern, very close to my home contry XD

anyway, it seems to me these burrows should create fairly stable, mild conditions and temperatures year round or at least take the edge off both extremes
the lower temperatures at soil depth would allow the scorpion to self regulate by digging further.

The Snark

Old Timer
isn't the current king living in Bayern, very close to my home contry
I have no idea where the present King is. He seems to be in the jet set crowd.

Where AFS live, the temperature remains between 50 and 62 F. In the shade in forests under thick leaf mold in the soil beneath.