african millie breeding, sings to look for?

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so i got 3 femails and 1 male. i want to know what singe i shold look for when thay breed, and what condistions thay like most for breeding, and what i should look for after thay bred....
at what age to thay get sexualy mature? i got one femail thats quit large, but my male is one of the smallist ones i got. if not the smallist.

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm not experienced with breeding these, Wade seems to know his stuff though. He usually recommends feeding them leaves and wood for reproduction. Apparently they don't breed (or at least not very well?) unless this is in their diet.
What I was going to say though is that apparently females won't let smaller males breed with them. I have 2 8+" females and a 5" male and I haven't seem any breeding interest.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm not sure if the wood and leaves are absolutely necessary for breeding, it may be that the babies benefit from it, as they are going to be more dependent on a nurtrient-rich substrate. Either way though, I've had much better luck getting baby millipedes since I started adding that stuff.

You may actually see breeding, typically the male will usually wrap around the female near the front end of her body. Howver, I'm not usually sure that breeding has occured until I see babies! In AGB's, breeding and egglaying happens in the fall and winter. I typically start finding babies in February or March. They lay eggs burried in the substrate, so you probably won't see them.

Dom-

Your 5" male may not be mature yet. If he is, you may have just missed the breeding. You may yet see babies!

Wade

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
what kinda leaves are beast for them?? i heard oak is realy good and thay like that alot.
my male is about 5 inches, i wasnt sure if he was sexualy mature yet but now im worried he isnt :(

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My AGB millis were never shy about mating. They even got frisky during a school presentation I took them to. :eek: Yeah, explain that one to 3rd graders without blushing.

I purchased 3 adult female and one adult male AGBs summer of 2005. They have a large tank (40 gal hexagon) with about 8" of substrate (peat moss mixed with aspen shavings) A thick layer of oak leaves and some old cotton wood. They have a coconut hide which they use all the time, fake and at one time live plants. One plant they ate, the other died of a fungus when I made a tank cover to up the humidity.
They mated all the time, but it wasn't till Oct 2006 that I found my first baby millis in the tank. They appeared a month after I made a plexi cover for the tank to keep the humidity up, I don't know if that had anything to do with the sudden appearance of babies.
I have seen eight babies out and about at one time. I have no idea how many are in there and they are different sizes.
AGBbabies.jpg

Good luck getting little ones.

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have about 3 or 4 inches of diry, thay still dig all throw it. and one of my females is missing, so shes down in the vc tunnles some whear..
i mostly got the expandable dirt brick stuff, the echo earth. with lots of peat moss.