African giant millipede buying/breeding etc..

XxsilentseedxX

Arachnopeon
Hey every one I’m new to the forum so I hope I’m posting this in the right area. I’ve been interested in buying a African giant for awhile but it’s hard to locate one at the moment. I may have found a pair on the classifieds on the forum but I’m not sure if it would be the actually millipede I’m looking for or if I would just get ripped off. At 400$ I would like to be sure before buying. What would be some ways of knowing if it’s a true African giant millipede before buying? Next is breeding I’ve read a few things on the forums about breeding but no one specifically breeding African giants. if there is any one who has or can put me in touch with some who has it would be a great help. Thanks for any help.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
$400 per pair or per specimen? That is a bit much in my opinion. Unless they are proven, 1:1 (male:female) near-adults/adults I would hold off on that.

True Archispirostreptus gigas (AGBs) have brown bands on their body with brownish legs; that is the easiest way to tell them from the look-alike Spiropoeus fischeri (formerly Mardonius parilis acuticonus or MPAs), which have straight black legs, and an overall black body with satiny ridges.

As for breeding, I believe @Elytra and Antenna, @mickiem, and @The Odd Pet have bred this species and can perhaps shed some light on this subject. They are not the easiest species to breed mind you however.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

The Odd Pet

Arachnoknight
$400 per pair or per specimen? That is a bit much in my opinion. Unless they are proven, 1:1 (male:female) near-adults/adults I would hold off on that.

True Archispirostreptus gigas (AGBs) have brown bands on their body with brownish legs; that is the easiest way to tell them from the look-alike Spiropoeus fischeri (formerly Mardonius parilis acuticonus or MPAs), which have straight black legs, and an overall black body with satiny ridges.

As for breeding, I believe @Elytra and Antenna, @mickiem, and @The Odd Pet have bred this species and can perhaps shed some light on this subject. They are not the easiest species to breed mind you however.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
It was $400 for a proven breeding pair but they already sold.

I just realized its you 😂

Yeah I was very broke so decided to sell one of my pairs. I'm really regretting now 😔. I would refund the money if I wasn't a man of my word.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
The new line of AGBs being imported seem to need a monsoon cycle to induce any sort of consistent reproduction, and even then produce far less offspring than the old AGB lines... They're also a bit smaller apparently. This is likely due to them being collected in a different area than AGBs kept a couple decades ago, who knows, they could even be a different species than the old AGBs we once had, (which no one seems to keep anymore).

The Odd Pet

Arachnoknight
The new line of AGBs being imported seem to need a monsoon cycle to induce any sort of consistent reproduction, and even then produce far less offspring than the old AGB lines... They're also a bit smaller apparently. This is likely due to them being collected in a different area than AGBs kept a couple decades ago, who knows, they could even be a different species than the old AGBs we once had, (which no one seems to keep anymore).
I have a WC one I got from a friend who got from a friend and she is 11.5" so IDK how true that is about the size.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I did not know that, thanks for giving us the heads up. Probably several varieties/subspecies/species floating around that have yet to be identified (which I suspect is also true for Acladocricus sp., and I know is true for Trigoniulus macropygus and S. fischeri from outside the US).
It definitely seems that all is not necessarily as it was or as it should be...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I have a WC one I got from a friend who got from a friend and she is 11.5" so IDK how true that is about the size.
Maybe some are normal sized then, but from what I've heard people say the new stock isn't quite as impressive as the old one... I've kept neither, so I wouldn't know, but I've heard several people make that remark... Perhaps theirs weren't quite full grown yet.

I did not know that, thanks for giving us the heads up. Probably several varieties/subspecies/species floating around that have yet to be identified (which I suspect is also true for Acladocricus sp., and I know is true for Trigoniulus macropygus and S. fischeri from outside the US).
It definitely seems that all is not necessarily as it was or as it should be...
Yeah, seems like at the very least, these new AGBs come from quite a different habitat and thus need different cues for breeding, unfortunately it seems these want seasonal cues, so a somewhat dry period followed by heavy "rainfall" is required to get them breeding, some people say to use a rain chamber for that.

Wish people still bred the old ABGs, they were a lot easier to get reproducing...

XxsilentseedxX

Arachnopeon
It was $400 for a proven breeding pair but they already sold.

I just realized its you 😂

Yeah I was very broke so decided to sell one of my pairs. I'm really regretting now 😔. I would refund the money if I wasn't a man of my word.
Wish I would of just bought the pair but I also needed a car at the same moment unfortunately. Are the type of AGBs that you breed the newer type that need the monsoon cycle Like hisserdude said or the older type?

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Thanks for the reply I see @The Odd Pet must know his stuff and be trust worthy wouldn’t have really known with out your reply.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
If we’re wishing I wish I would have bought 30 true agb back in the early 2000s when my local petco had them for 19.99

Jared Meese

Arachnopeon

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Hi. Any luck on finding AGBs? I’m wanting to breed them and can’t find much of anything

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Hi. Any luck on finding AGBs? I’m wanting to breed them and can’t find much of anything
Not through public/legal channels, no, ha ha. They remain a very rare species.

Wait, I just remembered there was a place a while back that had them...can't remember the name...grr...

Thanks,

Arthroverts