African Ctenidae

CtenidaeMan

Arachnopeon
Are there any other African Ctenidae in the European hobby than Piloctenus haematostoma or Macroctenus kingsleyi? I know there were some Ctenus spp from Kamerun labeled as "Ctenidae sp mamfe road" or "Ctenus sp golden banded", but I can't find them anymore. There are so many African Ctenidae, anyone from Europe or Germany that got some more rare species?

DreadMan

Arachnosquire
I am not sure if you are allowed to ask for classifieds, but other than that I would say you need to open up more. Wandering spiders are already not very common in the hobby, but African ones? I was not able to find anything on the internet, so maybe you should get a species from south America or Australia. Africactenus acteninus looks very pretty and I have seen it on the classifieds section, so maybe a little more searching and you will find something. Here in america we have something called repticon, which basically people come together and sell their reptiles and inverts. If europe has something like that, I recommend you go to it because you will find all sorts of stuff.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
You live in Germany @CtenidaeMan, which means you live smack-dab in true spider breeders paradise, ha ha. There are many breeders, collectors, and importers of African Ctenidae and much else besides in Germany and Europe as a whole. If you like, PM me and I will share a few of the breeders I am aware of with you.

@DreadMan, look up the Hamm or Terraristikborse shows. They blow any American expos out of the water.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

CtenidaeMan

Arachnopeon
I know many breeders/importers, but I was just curious about if they are any hobbyists that keep some more rare species. My main focus lays on Ctenidae and Sparassidae and I'm always interested in keeping/breeding species that are new to the hobby or even new to describe. The common African ones are Piloctenus haematostoma and Macroctenus kingsleyi, since I already got these I was wondering if they are more species in the hobby that I don't know about.

CtenidaeMan

Arachnopeon
I know many breeders/importers, but I was just curious about if they are any hobbyists that keep some more rare species. My main focus lays on Ctenidae and Sparassidae and I'm always interested in keeping/breeding species that are new to the hobby or even new to describe. The common African ones are Piloctenus haematostoma and Macroctenus kingsleyi, since I already got these I was wondering if they are more species in the hobby that I don't know about.
*there not they

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are there any other African Ctenidae in the European hobby than Piloctenus haematostoma or Macroctenus kingsleyi? I know there were some Ctenus spp from Kamerun labeled as "Ctenidae sp mamfe road" or "Ctenus sp golden banded", but I can't find them anymore. There are so many African Ctenidae, anyone from Europe or Germany that got some more rare species?

I’m a bit late to this thread but I’m in the same boat as you except in the United States. I remember there being far more unidentified African Ctenidae in the hobby. I kept sp. “Mamfe Rd” at one point and I’d very much like to again. I suppose you guys over in Germany will get them before we do though.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I think Phoneutria nigriventer is pretty common in Germany in terms of ctenids. Otherwise you might just hang around some of the classifieds sites like terraristik.com to see what pops up. I know an Austrian fellow who could probably connect you with some other hobbyists/specimens, PM me if you like for more info.

I’m a bit late to this thread but I’m in the same boat as you except in the United States. I remember there being far more unidentified African Ctenidae in the hobby. I kept sp. “Mamfe Rd” at one point and I’d very much like to again. I suppose you guys over in Germany will get them before we do though.
Same here. I had a tiny little sp. "Mamfe" sling that died just before molting, and I haven't seen them available since.
Just goes to show how boom-and-bust true spiders are here in the US with hardly any dedicated breeders.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

CtenidaeMan

Arachnopeon
I got some sp mamfe road yesterday together with some unidentified Sparassidae sp gulung mulu. I know that Peter Grabowitz had various Ctenidae spp from Cameroon last year. Maybe he gets some new imports soon

CtenidaeMan

Arachnopeon
I think Phoneutria nigriventer is pretty common in Germany in terms of ctenids. Otherwise you might just hang around some of the classifieds sites like terraristik.com to see what pops up. I know an Austrian fellow who could probably connect you with some other hobbyists/specimens, PM me if you like for more info.

Same here. I had a tiny little sp. "Mamfe" sling that died just before molting, and I haven't seen them available since.
Just goes to show how boom-and-bust true spiders are here in the US with hardly any dedicated breeders.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Yeah Phoneutria spp are pretty common (at least nigriventer, boliviensis, fera/depilata), I got some too. But Phoneutria are from South America and I'm especially interested in afrotropical Ctenidae. But nevertheless, Phoneutria are amazing too. Some new Ctenids from South America would be very cool, Mark Stockmann had Chococtenus from Equador but not for sale yet. In Germany the aranomorphae hobby is not that big, but it's growing fast in the last few years.