Advice pls for #4

electra

Arachnopeon
Hello to all. I am ready to get a 4th to add to my set. I came across (locally) a Brazilian Red & White and a Mexican Redrump (both slings). After some research, I find that the Red & White can be aggressive/defensive. Right now I have a Chaco Golden Knee, a Mexican Flame Knee and a Brazilian Black (all docile). I only handle them 2X per year, when I clean the cage and change substrate. I'm leaning to the Red & White but do not want to get bitten or haired (yes, I'm chicken). Just how aggressive is this species? Am I overly worried? All advice and suggestions taken. Pictures of my 3 beauties can be seen on my website here:
http://www.familyhopkins.us/john's pages/spider.htm

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well to give you a small idea, I call my little girl "satan". They are great display T's but that's it. They are not to cuddly or hand friendly. If I even breathed wrong she rears up and give me some love.

But that being said if you are not big on handling them then why not get one? Get it small so you can adjust to it's attitude as she gets bigger. They are really easy to keep, great eaters, and every molt is worth the wait.

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it's your choice.... both have the potential to kick hair, but the red and white is worse than a redrump.
i've had both, and honestly, i think redrumps are cute... i miss mine, but it was well worth the trade. :)

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
To be honest.. you don't really need to change the substrate anyway, and cleaning the cage... just keep your eyes peeled. They'll generally only kick hair when they're threatened. (i assume brazilian black is Grammostola pulchra??) In which case.. all of the T's u have already, have the potential to kick the itchy hairs!
Brazilian Red & White is a Nhandu of some type i believe? (sorry.. i don't work in common names lol) Nhandu chromatus maybe??
(oh.. looked it up on the net as Vitalius cristatus??) Ok.. on further inspection.. they're the same thing LOL! anyways!

These are defensive, and will kick hairs, but only if they're annoyed. If you had plenty of places to hide, i'm pretty sure they wouldn't come out to get you.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
For anyone wondering, who doesn't work in common names.. like me! The two T's in question are:

Nhandu chromatus
Brachypelma vagans

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yeah he is. Thats what i mean. When i typed Brazilian Black and White into google it came back to me with Vitalius cristatus. Which i then put into google images.. and Vitalius cristatus and Nhandy chromatus are the same thing :D lol Vitalius cristatus is a synonym of the N. chromatus.. :D

electra

Arachnopeon
I tend to use the common names (after reading this thread, maybe I shouldn’t), because I can pronounce Brazilian Red & Black whereas I’m not so sure pronouncing Lasiodora cristata or Nhandu chromatus! I have to agree with talkenlate04, since I’m not a handler, I’m going to get the Brazilian.

As for my current trio,
Chaco Golden Knee = Grammostola aureostriata
Mexican Flame Knee = Brachypelma auratum
Brazilian Black = Grammostola pulchra

Thanks so much for your input. John.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just got a N. Chromatus 1.5" sling yesterday. OMG i love that little thing! Talk about attitude... fearless! 5 minutes after being housed in the new "micro" kk it had found it's little starter burrow and was guarding the door. When i opened the top to drop in a crick he ran back into the hide. I dropped in the crick thinking it would probably crawl around for a while before being eaten as the T had just been spooked. In fact, my little Nhandu snagged that cricket on the first bounce and was back in the hide in a red and white blur. I've never seen such a vicious and efficient attack in my (somewhat limited) experience.

So to sum up: get the N. Chroma. It's got moxy! (just watch your fingers)

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For anyone wondering, who doesn't work in common names.. like me! The two T's in question are:

Nhandu chromatus
Brachypelma vagans
I'm with you I don't work very well with common names, thx for research the scientific name :wall:

you did the correct election the Nhandu chromatus (red&white) it has much better colors.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have two N. chromatus, a not quite yet full sized female, and a healthy sized sling, probably around an inch and a half right now. My female is shy and hides, she does not hunt, she waits for the crickets to come to her. The sling is a maniac, the only thing I have that grabs food faster than the N. chromatus sling is my two P. cancerides slings. It is a very zippy little bug. And it needs to be rehoused, won't that be fun. :rolleyes:

electra

Arachnopeon
Got'em! Boy are they great, the L. parahybana is feisty.

Thanks again for all replies. John.

Nhandu chromatus:

Lasiodora parahybana:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well glad they arrived there safe and sound....... one more thing though that pink fish tank gravel, its got to go. Replace it with peat moss or potting soil that does not have chemicals, or coco fiber. Anything but rock.

electra

Arachnopeon
The order of things when I got them home, first pictures, next, prepare their new housing (peatmoss), then I transfered them. How long should I wait before I give them crickets? I assume they are pretty agitated after all that.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I let my new slings settle one night and the following night I offer food. This gives them time to relax and get used to their new home.