Advice on handling offsprings

MingoArt

Arachnopeon
Hi, I have recently successfully hatched a sac of T. albos, however it has become apparent that I have absolutely no method to sell them, since the nearby stores are either refusing to purchase them, or offering 1/10 of the retail price. What do y'all do in this situation like this with all of the growing slings? Thanks.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
0. VERY cool to breed.
1. You bred one of the most common species- supply and demand at play here
2. They have to make $$ too, so you are absolutely crazy to expect any money of relevance to retail for this particular species, esp as a sling.
3. Sell them yourself, if you can on AB

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I would like some but I just spent my last money and can’t find a job . So either you’d have to pay shipping or you would have to have to hold onto some until I find a job . It’s not worth breeding popular low value species without being a vender .

MingoArt

Arachnopeon
0. VERY cool to breed.
1. You bred one of the most common species- supply and demand at play here
2. They have to make $$ too, so you are absolutely crazy to expect any money of relevance to retail for this particular species, esp as a sling.
3. Sell them yourself, if you can on AB
Thanks for the insight! I certainly understand a lot of the economics at play in general business, I had expected something around 1/4-1/5 of retail, which in my opinion is quite fair, but something along the lines of $1-2 store credit per on a $15-20 spider felt quite sour to me. Kind of concerns me on whether I should even mate the more valuable species I currently have (g. pulchra, m. balfouri, etc) or just cancel all breeding projects moving forward.

I would like some but I just spent my last money and can’t find a job . So either you’d have to pay shipping or you would have to have to hold onto some until I find a job . It’s not worth breeding popular low value species without being a vender .
That last part makes a lot of sense.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
take the 1/10 retail price and call it a profit. if it makes you feel better just know that its probably a loss for the retailer anyways once you factor inall the time and food they need to invest caring for the slings until they are sold off

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
How many are you talking? Did you already get them separated? Don't forget your time has value, and it will be at the expense of the slings. Slicing up a bunch of mealworms, popping hundreds of condiment cup lids, keeping substrate moist. You'll inevitably lose some if you are spread too thin. I don't know the size of your collection but if you have a bunch of other Ts could be at their expense too.

I personally would rather give them away for free to someone that I know is going to love them before I would expect to receive retail prices, but it's possible you'd make just as money turning them in for store credit versus trying to rear them if you don't have the resources to do so.

The longer you hold on to them, the bigger they are, the wider the customer base. Not everyone is comfortable raising tiny slings.

Just depends how you want to spend the next year.

MingoArt

Arachnopeon
take the 1/10 retail price and call it a profit. if it makes you feel better just know that its probably a loss for the retailer anyways once you factor inall the time and food they need to invest caring for the slings until they are sold off
I honest would if I could break even with that. But at 1/10 retail it would cost me more in gas to drive them over since they're only offering to take 10-20 since they are not willing to hold inventory, and a 2-3 hour drive on average would still set me at a loss without the time consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Maybe worth it if it’s like 300+ slings that’s $300 . But last thing I trust is these pond scum pet shops .. who sell sick pets (‘maybe other places are better or other states $)
Just last month I had some money coulda paid shipping but parents forced me to spend it all. I’ll just have to pay full retail when I get more Ts.

cold blood

Staff member
or offering 1/10 of the retail price.
this is called wholesale pricing, and that is what sellers will buy ts for...all ts. If you dont want to take the massive amount of time to raise them and sell them on your own, take what you can get for them.

There are many large retailers that sell via the internet that will buy your slings, you just need to ship them....and these sellers will generally buy larger lots of slings.

Last edited:

MingoArt

Arachnopeon
How many are you talking? Did you already get them separated? Don't forget your time has value, and it will be at the expense of the slings. Slicing up a bunch of mealworms, popping hundreds of condiment cup lids, keeping substrate moist. You'll inevitably lose some if you are spread too thin. I don't know the size of your collection but if you have a bunch of other Ts could be at their expense too.

I personally would rather give them away for free to someone that I know is going to love them before I would expect to receive retail prices, but it's possible you'd make just as money turning them in for store credit versus trying to rear them if you don't have the resources to do so.

The longer you hold on to them, the bigger they are, the wider the customer base. Not everyone is comfortable raising tiny slings.

Just depends how you want to spend the next year.
I do appreciate the insight, the batch is around 300 slings separated neatly into saucer cups. It's quite a time dedication for me, but I don't mind it too much. An option for the future could be to hold back and then mate all of the species at once, which would probably allow me to open an online store for Ts alone with ~25 species all available at once.

And yes, giving them out when they're larger would likely be the option I'd do, I considered trading for store credits since I can purchase frozen rats in exchange, but when they're offering to trade 10 at a time it's merely a drop in the bucket for any realistic snake food purchases I make.

Thanks for the insight!

this is called wholesale pricing, and that is what sellers will buy ts for...all ts. If you dont want to take the massive amount of time to raise them and sell them on your own, take what you can get for them.
Honestly I'd gladly take that, and I understand the wholesale model, but I'm encountering the issue where I'm being offered wholesale pricing but low quantity. I have yet to encounter a store willing to take more than 20, that puts me in a situation where it'd end up costing more to drive them over than I'd end up getting. However, I do feel like it's due to the commonality of the species, and that I only have 1 species available.

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
I'm encountering the issue where I'm being offered wholesale pricing but low quantity. I have yet to encounter a store willing to take more than 20,
I gave you another option that may work for you (added a few min after my original post)

MingoArt

Arachnopeon
I gave you another option that may work for you (added a few min after my original post)
I see, I have found a few wholesalers with a basic search, will be contacting soon to see if anything could happen. Is there one from your experience to be popular within the T ecosphere?

cold blood

Staff member
Virtually all big online sellers have info on their sites on how to get a hold of them and most have clear buying programs.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
If you have any other breedings going on in the near future you could give them as freebies with the other species but as others mentioned wholesale is the way to go with this species.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
If you have any other breedings going on in the near future you could give them as freebies with the other species but as others mentioned wholesale is the way to go with this species.
No wonder common species price get raised to rediculous rates because these dealers buy them pennys on the dollar , and flip them for $20-70 a piece . Pet shops are worse wanted $150 for a small a genic . But I understand they gotta make a profit so I’m not bashing anyone’s prices . Just in USA 🇺🇸 we pay significantly more then Europe and Asia.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for the insight! I certainly understand a lot of the economics at play in general business, I had expected something around 1/4-1/5 of retail, which in my opinion is quite fair, but something along the lines of $1-2 store credit per on a $15-20 spider felt quite sour to me. Kind of concerns me on whether I should even mate the more valuable species I currently have (g. pulchra, m. balfouri, etc) or just cancel all breeding projects moving forward.

That last part makes a lot of sense.
Ask the stores before you breed
Sell private to make more $ if that’s a goal
When you see that species given away as freebies on 35$ purchases that should tell you something

Liquifin

Arachnoking
If you're lucky at most, you get $2-$5 per sling at a lot of 10+ pieces. The fraction and prices that were offered is reasonable to me because T. albo are way too saturated in this hobby. I can get the cost of down to $.25-$1 per sling in a lot of 10+ specimens.

MingoArt

Arachnopeon
Ask the stores before you breed
Sell private to make more $ if that’s a goal
When you see that species given away as freebies on 35$ purchases that should tell you something
Strange enough plenty of stores offered to buy as well as guaranteeing a 1/3 price range (when I inquired ~ 3 weeks earlier), I have no clue why they'd put that on the table but flip 180 when things are actually ready. But oh well.
I have seen a lot of OBTs as freebies, but I can see this one being an option for that too.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Strange enough plenty of stores offered to buy as well as guaranteeing a 1/3 price range (when I inquired ~ 3 weeks earlier), I have no clue why they'd put that on the table but flip 180 when things are actually ready. But oh well.
I have seen a lot of OBTs as freebies, but I can see this one being an option for that too.
it’s ridiculous they can buy Ts for free basically but then they turn around and sell them for crazy amounts ..But cheap priority shipping only way I could afford even free Ts I’m pretty much broke. Why does no one located near me ever have this problem.
good luck 🍀
Reptiles are more popular here most pet shops quit selling Ts beside the one that ripped me off . Nearest expo is hour or two away .