Advice on freebies

kooky

Arachnosquire
Hello,

For my birthday my friend ordered me some slings online (some brachypelma species, holothele and a n.chromatus and another avic) all ones im comfortable with caring for as i have those species atm and they are doing well (pretty new to this hobby).

However, in the package i also got two freebies, my friend buys from them all the time and i think she mentioned it being a birthday present.

I have two species from the same family.

Tapinauchenius sanctivincenti and Tapinauchenius gigas.

I have hears they are similar to avic slings in requirements but i've also heard of their speed. Can anyone offer any advice on these slings. My avics are doing fine at the moment but this is a completely new species to me xD

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
Who did she buy from? I never get freebies :( haha.

I keep T.gigas (sanctivincenti will be similar in care), but might as well just quote what someone else has written:

This species is the biggest and considered the most defensive of the genus, I haven't seen any threat poses but I've had some slings try to nip at me (from what I've read the venom isn't very strong). These animals rely on speed and will run circles around almost anything else in the hobby, hence I take special steps for them. For care I give these guys a larger enclosure than I'd normally would, 2nd-3rd instar got put into a 32oz deli (and they can fly around it very easily). I provided several inches of sub and a slab of cork bark as they will make burrows,dirt curtains and silk tubes (often all connected to each other). A water dish/cap is nice to have as my Taps are the only spiders I see drink regularly, I also wet a section of the sub and let it dry out. When they are young they will be pretty shy, as in if they even suspect that you're looking at them they will hide but I can say I see all 6 of mine almost everyday.

Overall these make a good substitute to an OBT as they are orange and fast but their venom isn't going to cause searing pain. You will become very good at stealthily opening lids when you have these guys as they are very bolt happy but they can be corralled pretty easily as they don't want to bite you. Once they are older they usually just retreat to their hides or will just sit there until you do something.
If you feel like they'll be too fast for you, and can't find someone that wants them. Hit me up, i don't live that far from you :).

Last edited:

kooky

Arachnosquire
Who did she buy from? I never get freebies :( haha.

I keep T.gigas, but might as well just quote what someone else has written:

If you feel like they'll be too fast for you, and can't find someone that wants them. Hit me up, i don't live that far from you :).
she got them from TSS (The Spider Shop) i guess ill put mine in 32oz deli cups then. I think id like to care for them, but you're very welcome if i cant handle it. Just so worried im gonna kill my slings with negligence xD. Only death i've had so far was a c.elegans that my bunny murdered, through my fault ofc.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
she got them from TSS (The Spider Shop) i guess ill put mine in 32oz deli cups then. I think id like to care for them, but you're very welcome if i cant handle it. Just so worried im gonna kill my slings with negligence xD. Only death i've had so far was a c.elegans that my bunny murdered, through my fault ofc.
What the hell. I've literally made 3 orders over £120 (and making one next week for a similar amount) in the past 3 months and got nothing for free :D haha.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine. :punch:

kooky

Arachnosquire
What the hell. I've literally made 3 orders over £120 (and making one next week for a similar amount) in the past 3 months and got nothing for free :D haha.

well i think its because they knew it was a birthday order i guess. She knows lee as well so that might have had a part xD the n.chromatus sling i got as well was well over an inch. Already has some adult coloration o-o

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

I'm with you on this around 80% of my collection are from Lee as are nearly all my enclosures and I've never had a single thing for free maybe I need to ditch them lok

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
I'm with you on this around 80% of my collection are from Lee as are nearly all my enclosures and I've never had a single thing for free maybe I need to ditch them lok
Haha, to be fair, if i ran a business i wouldn't give anything for free unless i knew the person.

I think the only people that usually give out freebies, are like general hobbyists.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Haha, to be fair, if i ran a business i wouldn't give anything for free unless i knew the person.

I think the only people that usually give out freebies, are like general hobbyists.
I' won't mention the others dealers in public but 1 in particular gives freebies with some orders and another I use gives discounts if you sign up to their news letter.
As you said it's a business but if I had repeat customers spending hundreds/thousands of pounds over a period It wouldn't hurt to occasionally show your appreciation with a small gift of a free sling that's basically worth next to nothing. After all a sling here of certain species is worth less than a beer

kooky

Arachnosquire
Looks like my next order from The Spider Shop will be a 'birthday gift' ;)
haha, they do seem quite generous with birthdays gifts and the like. She did spent nearly £250 in one order though including these guys.....she went a bit mad after selling off a bunch of adults haha

RMJ

Arachnosquire
haha, they do seem quite generous with birthdays gifts and the like. She did spent nearly £250 in one order though including these guys.....she went a bit mad after selling off a bunch of adults haha
Oh I see, thank you for that :), I usually order one at a time but never slings only juvis. Maybe time to buy a load of slings instead!

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Happy birthday and enjoy your new tarantulas.
I wouldn't like to say how much I've spent at tss this year but it's 4 digits. I spent over £500 on enclosures alone and still no freebie lol.
I was going to place an order today for a few Pamphobeteus slings and an adult female Avicularia sp pakuri but I've lost my appetite so I'm looking elsewhere

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wouldn't like to say how much I've spent at tss this year but it's 4 digits. I spent over £500 on enclosures alone and still no freebie lol.
I was going to place an order today for a few Pamphobeteus slings and an adult female Avicularia sp pakuri but I've lost my appetite so I'm looking elsewhere

kooky

Arachnosquire
sorry if i caused your loss of appetite, that wasn't the cause of this post at all. :/ just wanted some advice. Maybe i shouldn't have mentioned the shop name, i didn't want to lose them customers. I've never expected a freebie from them ever, i just assumed it was a nice b day present from them was all :/ sorry.

Last edited:

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sorry if i caused your loss of appetite, that wasn't the cause of this post at all. :/ just wanted some advice. Maybe i shouldn't have mentioned the shop name, i didn't want to lose them customers. I've never expected a freebie from them ever, i just assumed it was a nice b day present from them was all :/ sorry.
It's not you that's lost me my appetite lol
They have been heading that way with me for a while if I'm honest. There's certain items they sell that I couldn't find elsewhere but I've been able to locate another vendor that sells them.
An example of 1 reason for not doing as much shopping with tss is this last month they had Megaphobema mesomelas slings at £90 for a 4cm plus £8.99 for shipping total £98.99 yet another dealer I use had Megaphobema mesomelas slings @3.5cm for £69+4.99 shipping yet the shipping is done the same way with the same company so you see the issue

kooky

Arachnosquire
It's not you that's lost me my appetite lol
They have been heading that way with me for a while if I'm honest. There's certain items they sell that I couldn't find elsewhere but I've been able to locate another vendor that sells them.
An example of 1 reason for not doing as much shopping with tss is this last month they had Megaphobema mesomelas slings at £90 for a 4cm plus £8.99 for shipping total £98.99 yet another dealer I use had Megaphobema mesomelas slings @3.5cm for £69+4.99 shipping yet the shipping is done the same way with the same company so you see the issue
ah i see. Thankfully im not deep enough to go for the more expensive slings yet but i can see why you would look for the best prices you can. Glad im finding people around in the uk though :)

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ah i see. Thankfully im not deep enough to go for the more expensive slings yet but i can see why you would look for the best prices you can. Glad im finding people around in the uk though :)
There's quite a few good people on here from the uk, aswell as the rest of the guys and girls from US, Canada, Europe etc. Trust me when I say this your tastes for non expensive tarantulas won't last for example take a look at Megaphobema robustum beautiful not very expensive really and they prefer cooler temperatures so it sort of makes the uk an almost perfect fit for them. Pamphobeteus or Phormictopus aren't expensive either but they are intermediate tarantulas but they are so beautiful and a little feisty

kooky

Arachnosquire
There's quite a few good people on here from the uk, aswell as the rest of the guys and girls from US, Canada, Europe etc. Trust me when I say this your tastes for non expensive tarantulas won't last for example take a look at Megaphobema robustum beautiful not very expensive really and they prefer cooler temperatures so it sort of makes the uk an almost perfect fit for them. Pamphobeteus or Phormictopus aren't expensive either but they are intermediate tarantulas but they are so beautiful and a little feisty
Its one of those things, i love pretty much every single tarantula out there, but im limiting myself, because 1) i have house rabbits and im not risking ow with them, if said OW escaped and 2) i dont want to buy any beautiful expensive slings/juvies only to kill them with my lack of experience :/

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Its one of those things, i love pretty much every single tarantula out there, but im limiting myself, because 1) i have house rabbits and im not risking ow with them, if said OW escaped and 2) i dont want to buy any beautiful expensive slings/juvies only to kill them with my lack of experience :/
I understand your concerns and it's refreshing everytime I hear the " I'm not rushing because of my lack of experience" you don't know how many times we've heard " I've just got an obt as my second or first tarantula" I use obt as an example because it seems to fit the look at me I'm macho I have a feisty ow orange fruitloop but it could be any number of ow species.
I wasn't suggesting you go out and buy a Pamphobeteus or Phormictopus today but in the future when you feel comfortable with your ability they will be on your list and you will want 1.
I have an adult female Pamphobeteus sp mascara and she is less trouble than most of my collection I've never had a threat pose or a face full of hairs lol and she's so beautiful. If you're ever stuck for idea's of easy new worlds try some Thrixopelma sp they are beautiful pretty cheap and easy to care for, T ockerti is a little feisty though

kooky

Arachnosquire
I understand your concerns and it's refreshing everytime I hear the " I'm not rushing because of my lack of experience" you don't know how many times we've heard " I've just got an obt as my second or first tarantula" I use obt as an example because it seems to fit the look at me I'm macho I have a feisty ow orange fruitloop but it could be any number of ow species.
I wasn't suggesting you go out and buy a Pamphobeteus or Phormictopus today but in the future when you feel comfortable with your ability they will be on your list and you will want 1.
I have an adult female Pamphobeteus sp mascara and she is less trouble than most of my collection I've never had a threat pose or a face full of hairs lol and she's so beautiful. If you're ever stuck for idea's of easy new worlds try some Thrixopelma sp they are beautiful pretty cheap and easy to care for, T ockerti is a little feisty though
i have had a lot of people mention how much they like thrixopelma family. The feisty ones are pretty awesome arent they :)