Advice on Bark Scorpion enclosure?

Malwarewolf404

Arachnopeon
It’s finally summer again here in Texas, and wouldn’t you know it I had some luck catching two beautiful Bark Scorpions, most likely C. Vittatus by the looks of them. One male and one female. I was wondering if anyone had any particular experience with Bark Scorpions? I’ve been able to get the male feeding on crickets but the female, though incredibly photogenic, just seems interested in perching on the Cholla wood. I’ve got them in a heated environment with water dishes, so I’m hoping they take to the enclosure. Any advice?

P.S. I’ve also noticed something about the male scorpion: for one, he’s very dark-colored for a Bark Scorpion, and even though I’m relatively sure that’s what he is, it’s certainly unique. He also doesn’t flouresce very much, hardly at all in fact, under the UV.

I’ve also read some care sheets that claim they can be kept communally (some even outright claim they need to be) but I’d rather not make a thunder dome if I don’t have to. If anyone has any experience with a communal scorpion species I’d love to hear what your thoughts are!

Photo ID:
A) Centruroides Vittatus Male
B) Centruroides Vittatus Female, UV-light flourescence 00F26F9E-3CA7-477E-AEF1-03B91B401BC4.jpeg D96350F9-7716-45CE-9849-DA1444E0C8E5.jpeg

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
It’s finally summer again here in Texas, and wouldn’t you know it I had some luck catching two beautiful Bark Scorpions, most likely C. Vittatus by the looks of them. One male and one female. I was wondering if anyone had any particular experience with Bark Scorpions? I’ve been able to get the male feeding on crickets but the female, though incredibly photogenic, just seems interested in perching on the Cholla wood. I’ve got them in a heated environment with water dishes, so I’m hoping they take to the enclosure. Any advice?

P.S. I’ve also noticed something about the male scorpion: for one, he’s very dark-colored for a Bark Scorpion, and even though I’m relatively sure that’s what he is, it’s certainly unique. He also doesn’t flouresce very much, hardly at all in fact, under the UV.

I’ve also read some care sheets that claim they can be kept communally (some even outright claim they need to be) but I’d rather not make a thunder dome if I don’t have to. If anyone has any experience with a communal scorpion species I’d love to hear what your thoughts are!

Photo ID:
A) Centruroides Vittatus Male
B) Centruroides Vittatus Female, UV-light flourescence View attachment 446916 View attachment 446917
They need more climbing surface than just that little tiny piece of bark. They hunt, sleep, and molt arboreally.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
All Centruroides are fairly communal as adults. Your male is likely very old. They get more dark and dull as they get old, and I believe in some cases it may affect their fluorecence.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
they exist communally in the wild. For shows we keep them communally (Typically C. gracilis and/ or C. sculpturatus. (never mixed, seperate communals) We have never had an issue

it's also the reason they are so hazardous. Tree Trimmers encounter entire colonies and can be stung multiple times.

More bark, as others have said

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I'm wondering about this scorp and our common local one, Lychas Mucronatus. Completely arboreal. Never encountered any on the ground. Compulsive climbers.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I'm wondering about this scorp and our common local one, Lychas Mucronatus. Completely arboreal. Never encountered any on the ground. Compulsive climbers.
Must be why its common name is bark scorpion? Hmm I didn’t even know scorpion’s commonly were aboreal . I didn’t think they couldn’t just forgot lol .. I always pictured the terrestrial ones . Grab an apple get a scorpion.. :rofl:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
They still can't climb glass but doors, house sidings, etc are fair game.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Must be why its common name is bark scorpion? Hmm I didn’t even know scorpion’s commonly were aboreal . I didn’t think they couldn’t just forgot lol .. I always pictured the terrestrial ones . Grab an apple get a scorpion.. :rofl:
Yes all bark scorpions are arboreal to some extent. Taxa like Centruroides, Tityus, Lychas and related genera.