Advice: C vittatus/Cage

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Today, a package of over a dozen C vittatus adults and subadults arrived at my door. I emptied them into a terrarium measuring 14"L X 8"W X 7"H with two goodsized pieces of wood decor. My dilemna the cage has been nonstop motion and resembles the morning rush hour in New York.

I have another terrarium with the same measurements that I was going to use for something else, should I divide the C vittatus up evenly between them?

Personally it would be more eyepleasing and "natural" looking to do wise. I think rather than the swarming effect which is sorta an eyesore.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They'll settle down soon. If you have subadults, you might want to keep them in separate individual containers as this species is well known to cannibalize a molting cage mate

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They'll settle down soon. If you have subadults, you might want to keep them in separate individual containers as this species is well known to cannibalize a molting cage mate
Awesome, thanks I'll separate subadults from the adults tonight and there are about over a dozen gravid females too. :)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you have some gravid females, it is wise to raise the humidity just a tad. The young can be a little tricky to raise until they molt a couple times. Keep them a little more moist than the adults. In fact you can do it like it shows in this thread just keep less moist than it shows for Tityus spp
Rearing Early Instar "Bark Scorpions"

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you have some gravid females, it is wise to raise the humidity just a tad. The young can be a little tricky to raise until they molt a couple times. Keep them a little more moist than the adults. In fact you can do it like it shows in this thread just keep less moist than it shows for Tityus spp
Rearing Early Instar "Bark Scorpions"
Once again your experience is indelible Brian. I remember how difficult C. gracilis were for me. I'd find some of the dead ones with the wispy feathery molts still attached. And have bookmarked that link!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
C gracilis is also a little tricky to raise. It is neccessary to supply a climb for any barkscorpion species in order to not have molt problems.
In fact Centruroides spp young are all more difficult to raise than Tityus spp or at least they are until they molt a couple times.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've rearranged the wood decor with some vertical and all kinds of twisted angles. Grapevine wood is being used as support because it offer a slippery purchase vertical. Finally have that count Keith shipped me 15 of these babies five of which are males (LOOK OUT). I might have cleaned out his C vittatus not sure. There are a couple of giants in there easily measuring around 3".

Prolly do some shopping at LLL tonight because they are pretty well stocked in their reptile supplies.