Adventures in Pandinus imperator

nuclear_zombies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, I've sorta gone off the deep end with this one, lol. Last week it started with Unas, the male. This afternoon, I picked up :eek: AN ENTIRE FAMILY:eek: of Pandinus imperator. There would appear to be an adult male and female, and there should be 8 youngsters, at the I think the third or fourth instar. I'm sorting through the bizz right now, there will be photos forthcoming. Thanks to Arlius for a good deal, I am more than eager to take this project on:clap: I gotta go for now, I am trying to round up all 8 scorplings:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's great, can't wait for the pics. :clap:

Thaedion :cool:

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cool... looking foreward top pics.. but no rush.. get ur stuff in order first :D

nuclear_zombies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
okay, im a dumbass, heres why. there are five scorplings. I wrote this down earlier, but it seems to have skipped channels.:? Anyways, there was some question as to the female's state, as the guy hadnt seen her in about a month. She's alive and kickin', and the tank needs cleaning but she has a really neat burrow and I think I'll just leave that alone for the time being. The male is fine in his own container for now too. He's going into a five gallon tank tomorrow. The little guys are in thier own container, there are three 3rd instars, and two 4th instars. I'm wondering if there could be more scorplings in the mother's tank, cause the burrow is quite large. Its a rough oval about 6" long and 4.5" across, with a vent
as well! I would like to clean the tank without disturbing the burrow if possible. The pictures will have to wait till tomorrow, I've had enough for today!!

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
congrats dude, i care for a family of pimps myself :D cute little guys n girls...

nuclear_zombies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
once again I get my second wind..... here's some pics of the scorplings and the male. The female has decided that she's staying in the burrow, and its not easy to see inside of it. The male I have settled on "Hirogen" as a name, after the alien race in Star Trek: Voyager (yep, I'm a bigger nerd than I thought) The female I have dubbed "El Phantasma", mainly because I know she's there but I cant see her!{D The instars are going to have to wait to be a bit till I can sort out who's who, and what kind of equipment they have, lol.

Last edited:

nuclear_zombies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Omg!!!

Well, I dug up the female's tank. It needed a MAJOR cleaning. Imagine my surprise when in the back of her burrow I discovered another 6 scorplings!!! These 6 should be 4th instar very soon by the looks of 'em. Pics of the female plus the scorplings, of which there are a total of 11!!!! I think I will unltimately try to trade them for something different, a millipede or maybe an E. murinus. In any case, I have just become a nanny of sorts, LMAO:eek:

Falyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
LOL WTG on the family:D the babys are sooo cute

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow that is some great deal that Arlius made you. Is that 11 slings and a mom? You definatly have your hands full. Do you plan on breeding and selling or just collecting?

Thaedion

nuclear_zombies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow that is some great deal that Arlius made you. Is that 11 slings and a mom? You definatly have your hands full. Do you plan on breeding and selling or just collecting?

Thaedion
Well, the deal was for an adult male AND female, plus the scorplings(13 in all!). I would like to take a swing a breeding them eventually, as I also have another adult male. So I guess breeding, selling and collecting! I'm gonna get the scorplings to about half-adult, then trade them as I would rather get other interesting critters than money. Money is only a middle man to me, and I dont consider myself an owner, but rather I am entrusted with their care. I'm gonna try and get the pics up today, but I still have some tank issues to sort out. :cool:

nuclear_zombies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
new pictures

all the tank issues have been sorted out, with the exeption of the rocks and water dishes which need to be washed. I put Hirogen and El Phantasma in the same tank, they seem to be getting along just fine for now (until he disappears to go drinking with the guys, lol). Everyone has been fed, so I can take a break and have some puffs:D here's some photos (took some vid too, coming soon!) The scorpling is obvious, the other scorp on my hand is the male, Hirogen. The one in the dirt is the female, El Phantasma. Enjoy!

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wouldn't it make more sense to call the female La Phantasma...(and theres no ph). La fantasma. I don't really care just a little spanish lesson.

nuclear_zombies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wouldn't it make more sense to call the female La Phantasma...(and theres no ph). La fantasma. I don't really care just a little spanish lesson.
perfectly fine abyss. It's actually the name of a club I used to go to in my early 20's. I also pointed out to the owner that it was grammatically incorrect. He replied "Yes, I know she is there, but I can no see her". He was a Russian man in his late 50's, and screwed anything that walked, as long as it was a girl. A little messed up, but cool.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
{D {D {D. It's fine. Just seems a little weird for me since I'm a spanish speaker. At home anyways.

nuclear_zombies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
updates

Just an update on my crazy little family here.....
-witnessed Exar Kun swipe a cricket who was passing by the front of his burrow. Crunching noises coming periodically from inside, hehehehe.
-gave the scorplings some 2 week crickets. I thought they might be a little big for them, but it hasnt been an issue so far. They gobbled them up!
-El Phantasma has blocked off the entrance to her burrow. She shares a 15g tank with Hirogen, and I made places for them both. She prefers the rock burrow, while Hirogen prefers chillin out under a gnarled piece of stump, he's done a little remodelling there by stuffing most of the openings with bark chips and dirt.

Got a question: I use an open tank system, which allows for great air circulation but poor humidity control. It's a bit more work, but that doesn't bother me. I've entertained the idea of putting mosses and rock garden plants in both tanks. This will not only look attractive, but also will help keep humidity levels up. I've considered pros and cons of this, and I'd like some feedback from the membership. What are your thoughts on live plants in scorpion tanks?

nuclear_zombies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
updates

Just another dumbass update about my crazy little family.
- one of the scorplings has died. It was the smallest one, still in its' 3I. I believe the others ate it, there were "pieces" scattered about their small home.
- found homes for two scorplings. My parents were so amused by the little buggers, they each took one, a male and a female. That leaves 8.
- Hirogen and El Phantasma are still doing great in the 15g tank. I'm going to plant some Scotch Moss, and some Mountain Ice Plants in their tank next weekend. I'm going with plants that can handle poor drainage and shallow substrates. I've considered the possibility of harmful organisms, but both plants are what I call "anti-bug" plants- parasites and other little bugs dont seem to like them at all. So I'm gonna give it a go.....
- Cleaning out Exar Kun's tank, he pinched me hard enough to draw blood. Ouch!!
- I've separated the 4 largest scorplings in order to give the smaller ones a chance to eat easily. On payday I'm going to get individual containers for these 4. They went on a feeding frenzy last night, consuming a total of 16 two-week crickets. Here's some pics. I apologize for the poor quality of the photos, I've been expirementing with different angles and lighting. I dont like using a flash on my inverts, it freaks them out.

nuclear_zombies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ANOTHER UPDATE ON MY HAPPY LITTLE FAMILY....

- got all three adults in one tank, one of the males is doing some juddering. They seem to be getting along just fine though.
- one of the 3I's has gone into moult, Im concerned it may not survive but I'll have to wait a couple days to know for sure
- I might be trading the scorplings to a dealer here for a "deathstalker", or another species of scorpion. I'm taking them in tomorrow.
- Gave the scorplings an adult cricket. They gleefully tore it into pices and ate it, so I gave them a couple more. Very hungry little buggers!!!:D
-Still havent gotten the moss project on the go... so many things to do, so little time.