Adult VS. Sub-Adult?

WingedTrucker

Arachnopeon
Hello! I have just a quick question. I was wondering if anyone knows how you can tell the difference between a sub-adult and an adult that can be bred. I can post pics of my T as well. I just bought it and I was wondering because my other T was sold to me as a female but it just molted and is actually a male. I was just wondering how you can tell if they are a fully mature female. Thank you! (The pics are of my T, Stingray, it's the one I'm asking about!) 20161004_213844.jpg 20161006_165616.jpg

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Less cutesy pictures, more pictures with a ruler for size and a mention of the species ;)

Definitions will vary depending on who you ask. This is my personal interpretation, and it's a common one.
Slings: Abdomen is significantly larger than the carapace. Non-burrowing species burrow at this stage.
Juvie: Begin to look like miniature versions of an adult spider (via proportion, not coloration). Adult behavior is shown here.
Sub-adult: Sexually mature, but not full grown.
Adult: As large as the spider will ever get.

The only way to be certain that your spider is ready to breed is by looking for a scleretized spermatheca, which can't be done unless you have an exuvia (an old molt). You can make a good guess by looking at the size, though.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
When males reach maturity is obvious, but to be sure for females you need to take a look at their spermathecae. Good rule of thumb if you don't have old exuvia is if she is at 70% or more of fully grown size - she can be mated succesfully. Example: T's average maximum size is 10", females are ready at 7" or more. Of course it all depends on species and individual genetics

magicmed

Arachnobaron
This has been a big paranoia of mine since I have 5 pairs and waiting to make my first attempt at breeding! aside from what's been mentioned with males they will developed small hooks on the first legs, as well as their pedipalps will swell up, they will make a sperm web, and wander around a lot.

Females seems to be pretty easy to judge based on size and molt timing. like others said 70% of adult size and not in heavy premolt should be good to go

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello! I have just a quick question. I was wondering if anyone knows how you can tell the difference between a sub-adult and an adult that can be bred. I can post pics of my T as well. I just bought it and I was wondering because my other T was sold to me as a female but it just molted and is actually a male. I was just wondering how you can tell if they are a fully mature female. Thank you! (The pics are of my T, Stingray, it's the one I'm asking about!) View attachment 223189 View attachment 223190
The best way to tell if mature female, is by examining the previous molt.

In the absence of any other info in the pic on the left, handling a T at that perceived height is a good way to have it die from falling. They don't like to be held at all.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Just a note on species breeding, you seem to have a G.rosea/porteri/north kind of tarantula. Are you absolutely sure both female and male are same species? There's been a lot of confusion on these species, and further interbreeding doesn't help ;)