Adding ventilation holes.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
What should I use to add ventilation holes to my Ts' tanks? Anything other than a drill? Also what size of holes should I use for a 4-6" T? I've been using 15/64" and smaller.

Last edited:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I use a cordless drill. You do want to make sure you start with a fresh battery. If the bit isn't spinning fast enough, that's when cracks tend to happen. Soldering iron could work too.

As to the size of the holes, the question to ask yourself is "could the T's head fit through there?" For most 4-6 inch Ts you could probably use something as large as 3/4 inch and be on the safe side. I'm a fan of less holes, but larger holes. Makes viewing better IMO.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I much prefer a drill over a soldering iron. Melting plastic is just messy, and often makes the hole less attractive. On top of that, the smell of melting plastic is terrible, and probably not good to breathe.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Yep, I know the basics of it. I'm pretty much just looking for confirmation that I'm doing things right. Anyways, does the attached photo look like it has enough ventilation for a burrower? I'm still getting used to tall totes as tanks.

Attachments

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yep, I know the basics of it. I'm pretty much just looking for confirmation that I'm doing things right. Anyways, does the attached photo look like it has enough ventilation for a burrower? I'm still getting used to tall totes as tanks.
Depends which "burrower", man. For a P.murinus (yes, they burrow :angelic:) is ok, for a Theraphosidae that require a more humid parameter I would add a couple more.

kmhvmh

Arachnopeon
it doesn't matter the size of the holes, as long as there is plenty of them. OR...you can drill a big hole and glue a screen in it.

kmhvmh

Arachnopeon
My C. darlingi has a habit of eating screens, so I don't want to risk it with my other animals.
good point. well for my sling P metallicas I bought baseball displays and drilled 100 holes in them. 15 on each side, then the rest all on the top. which is overkill for the holes but better to have extra the not enough. My P regalis is in an exo terra mini tall which has a screen top and some sort of vetalation system in the front. I feel it's not enough air tho. My OBT is in a normal 5.5 gallon fish tank.

Attachments

basin79

ArachnoGod
I use a soldering iron. Really quick and absolutely no mess which is my favourite part.

Open a window if you need to make a lot of holes and obviously do it in a different room where your inverts/pets are.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
it doesn't matter the size of the holes, as long as there is plenty of them. OR...you can drill a big hole and glue a screen in it.
Any decent sized spider will go through a screen in minutes. And size def matters.

soldering gun is what I prefer.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Any decent sized spider will go through a screen in minutes.
I've seen three photos of Ts making holes in screens. I know an enclosure company that has sold 1000s enclosures with 2-3 inch round screen inserts in them. I've seen 0 complaints of my T ate the screen and escaped on their site. You would think, if this were a massive problem, there would be posts all over to that effect given the amount of enclosures that are out there.

You would want to use a heavy wire if you do use it. You definitely don't want to use screen door wire as it is a very thin wire and could be easily chewed through. I personally don't use screens with my enclosures. It's easier for me to drill the amount of holes I need and it's one less thing I need to order.

I used to use the soldering iron for everything. Now I drill all my holes unless the plastic is too thin and soft to do so. Even then I prefer poking holes in the plastic over the soldering iron if I can. Even using it on the back deck it smells horrible and leaves a ugly hole when compared to one made by a drill.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I've seen three photos of Ts making holes in screens. I know an enclosure company that has sold 1000s enclosures with 2-3 inch round screen inserts in them. I've seen 0 complaints of my T ate the screen and escaped on their site. You would think, if this were a massive problem, there would be posts all over to that effect given the amount of enclosures that are out there.

You would want to use a heavy wire if you do use it. You definitely don't want to use screen door wire as it is a very thin wire and could be easily chewed through. I personally don't use screens with my enclosures. It's easier for me to drill the amount of holes I need and it's one less thing I need to order.

I used to use the soldering iron for everything. Now I drill all my holes unless the plastic is too thin and soft to do so. Even then I prefer poking holes in the plastic over the soldering iron if I can. Even using it on the back deck it smells horrible and leaves a ugly hole when compared to one made by a drill.
100% agree with you! If there was a T capable of chewing through the heavy gauge screens I have on some of my enclosures, I'd love to own one;). That would certainly be one impressive spider!

Great thing about a drill: The time it takes a soldering iron to heat up, I'd be on my 3rd hole already. Prop the material over a trash can for zero mess. And once I'm done, I simply put the drill away. No need to wait for an iron to cool down enough to put it back in the drawer:rolleyes:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
100% agree with you! If there was a T capable of chewing through the heavy gauge screens I have on some of my enclosures, I'd love to own one;). That would certainly be one impressive spider!
I have seen photos of Ts doing it. I just don't think it is as big a concern given the large amount of them out there with no issues.