adapting aquarium for housing T's

hairyspideyfan

Arachnopeon
I'm treating my very active B smithi to a new home. I've got this aquarium that will provide ample leg room for her wanderings, but I would like to make it safe, especially the top lid area which encloses the lighting. I was thinking of making a plexiglas/perspex ceiling attached just below the lid to stop her climbing up here. Has anyone had any experience of doing this? I would appreciate any ideas -

. IMG_20160829_174433074.jpg IMG_20160829_174358690.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm treating my very active B smithi to a new home. I've got this aquarium that will provide ample leg room for her wanderings, but I would like to make it safe, especially the top lid area which encloses the lighting. I was thinking of making a plexiglas/perspex ceiling attached just below the lid to stop her climbing up here. Has anyone had any experience of doing this? I would appreciate any ideas -

. View attachment 219085 View attachment 219086
Dump the lighting hood, and put an acrylic lid on top as you already thought of. Lots of Youtube vids and info in the forum on this.

Then again, is there a plastic molding/lip around the perimeter of the tank? I thought there was, hence my suggestion above.

Could be just my opinion, it's too risky putting that tank on top of that shelving unit. Esp once it's full of sub, it will be heavy. Given it's larger than the stand, I wouldn't risk putting my T up that high on that setup.

Also make sure, you provide only 1.5X your Ts DLS as the distance from sub surface to lid.

hairyspideyfan

Arachnopeon
1. It's not staying up there - I just wanted to get a good photograph of the inside of the tank to show the current arrangement.
2. I wanted to keep the lid/lighting and somehow integrate perspex beneath this to form a barrier to prevent any climbing into the top where the light is. There is a plastic lip around the lid that fits over the top of the tank.

I couldn't find anything specific relating to this, hence the question.
And I do acknowledge the importance of having the correct DLS from sub to top.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
1. It's not staying up there - I just wanted to get a good photograph of the inside of the tank to show the current arrangement.
2. I wanted to keep the lid/lighting and somehow integrate perspex beneath this to form a barrier to prevent any climbing into the top where the light is. There is a plastic lip around the lid that fits over the top of the tank.

I couldn't find anything specific relating to this, hence the question.
And I do acknowledge the importance of having the correct DLS from sub to top.
Ah, that makes sense regarding the pic. I saw all those nice Exo's, and thought, why is that tank going on top???

Sounds like pictures of the hood would be helpful, the underside and how it rests on the tank, seems like the light lid forms the structure needed to rest onto bare glass. And not the reverse as I often see.

hairyspideyfan

Arachnopeon
IMG_20160829_212506766.jpg IMG_20160829_212729722.jpg
yep, the lid/light rests on top of the glass. I was thinking of drilling through each corner and maybe bolting the piece of perspex underneath? Looks like I'm answering my own question here!:embarrassed:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I see now. Nice T!

I don't use lights. I'd end up making a frame for the tank and and putting acrylic down. Seems like the hood covers inside and outside the glass. So the glass "slides" up nto the hood, like sliding door tracks. If so, I can't think of anything that may work initially.

It's hard to tell w/out having the piece in front of me.

Maybe @Trenor , @bryverine or @EulersK may have better ideas that include using this guy's hood?

hairyspideyfan

Arachnopeon
Thanks for your imput on this... I would really like to see this special spider in a nice big safe home. She's very active, always digging and re-arranging her tank, has escaped twice (pushed open the door of her exo terra when I forgot to lock it - found under the bed both occasions), and is always hanging around the doors, front legs propped up, waiting for another opportunity! A lovely spider!:rofl::D

lunarae

Arachnobaron
The problem you will have with the lighting hood if you keep it, is ventilation. Even if you put plenty of holes in the acrylic you sit on top and then set the hood on top of that, you will run into the fact that the heat from the bulb will build up inside that space, as well as even though the air passes through the acrylic, it's not going to go to much further because of the hood and your ventilation you created is useless. If your going to use the hood at all your going to want it suspended in the air or your going to want to drill a lot of holes through out it to allow for ventilation and make it as 'airy' as you can.

But even then, unless it is LED lighting (Which that looks florescent), it's going to produce heat which the T is going to be attracted to. So you will have to seriously consider that factor as well and make sure it doesn't cook the inside of the tank (Or your T if it hangs out at the top cause of the light) if it's out in the open where indirect sunlight can also get to the tank at all.

hairyspideyfan

Arachnopeon
The problem you will have with the lighting hood if you keep it, is ventilation. Even if you put plenty of holes in the acrylic you sit on top and then set the hood on top of that, you will run into the fact that the heat from the bulb will build up inside that space, as well as even though the air passes through the acrylic, it's not going to go to much further because of the hood and your ventilation you created is useless. If your going to use the hood at all your going to want it suspended in the air or your going to want to drill a lot of holes through out it to allow for ventilation and make it as 'airy' as you can.

But even then, unless it is LED lighting (Which that looks florescent), it's going to produce heat which the T is going to be attracted to. So you will have to seriously consider that factor as well and make sure it doesn't cook the inside of the tank (Or your T if it hangs out at the top cause of the light) if it's out in the open where indirect sunlight can also get to the tank at all.
You make some good points.
There is a fluorescent light in there, but I always thought florescent lighting was a 'cool' light which doesn't produce much heat?
I agree that ventilation would be an issue. I'm not sure if just drilling holes in the top would sort this out. - I might end up going with Viper's suggestion of dumping the hood altogether, and making my own lid - seems to be a safer and easier solution!:coldfeet:

lunarae

Arachnobaron
You make some good points.
There is a fluorescent light in there, but I always thought florescent lighting was a 'cool' light which doesn't produce much heat?
I agree that ventilation would be an issue. I'm not sure if just drilling holes in the top would sort this out. - I might end up going with Viper's suggestion of dumping the hood altogether, and making my own lid - seems to be a safer and easier solution!:coldfeet:
Depending on the florescent light it can still produce a level of heat and if there's no where for the heat to go, then it builds up. You have to remember also with the type of hood, that is set up for an aquarium which means the point is to keep the water inside as much as possible because obviously, fish.

I have a 5.5 gallon I converted into a vivarium. It has a little waterfall so it has a constant source of water to allow for humidity. Every night after I turn the light off for the evening, the glass will fog up and gain condensation, when I turn the light on in the morning after a few hours the majority of the condensation goes away but not all, because it does produce at least a level of heat. I don't keep a T in there for obvious reasons. But it shows how well those lids will hold in the moisture because of their lack of ventilation. As well as the blub in there is a tiny little florescent blue spectrum bulb. You wouldn't think it produces much heat but it does. Contrary to the 20 gallon we had that had led lights and those produced literally no heat. I could handle those bare handed and not worry, florescent you tend to have to let cool down some. Or I do anyways, but I'm pretty sensitive to temps and pain.

Making your own lid is most likely going to be your best bet. It's also really easy to do. You can also buy some strong little magnets to glue on the corners of the enclosure and then the acrylic lid to help hold it down rather then have to deal with latches. @EulersK briefly went over that method in one of his videos on enclosures, he may be able to shine more specific light on the exact types of magnets used and where to find them.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Making your own lid is most likely going to be your best bet. It's also really easy to do. You can also buy some strong little magnets to glue on the corners of the enclosure and then the acrylic lid to help hold it down rather then have to deal with latches. @EulersK briefly went over that method in one of his videos on enclosures, he may be able to shine more specific light on the exact types of magnets used and where to find them.
Neodymium magnets, a package of them at Home Depot is about $5. Secure the magnets onto the acrylic and aquarium frame using superglue. Be sure to rough up the magnets with sandpaper (or rubbing them on concrete) so the glue has something to grab on to. If you don't know how to cut acrylic, get the measurements down and take them to Lowe's. They'll cut the acrylic for you for free if you buy the acrylic through them. Note that Home Depot does not cut acrylic or glass. Then you'll just need to drill ventilation holes (go slow!) and you're done.

lunarae

Arachnobaron
Neodymium magnets, a package of them at Home Depot is about $5. Secure the magnets onto the acrylic and aquarium frame using superglue. Be sure to rough up the magnets with sandpaper (or rubbing them on concrete) so the glue has something to grab on to. If you don't know how to cut acrylic, get the measurements down and take them to Lowe's. They'll cut the acrylic for you for free if you buy the acrylic through them. Note that Home Depot does not cut acrylic or glass. Then you'll just need to drill ventilation holes (go slow!) and you're done.
Nice to know that lowes will cut it for you!! I will have to keep that in mind. I have to do the straight edge cutting method (As I haven't gotten around to buying a dremel, not sure what brand would be a decent but cheap one) and that is killer on my shoulders and elbows since I unfortunatly have tendinitis in both. I'll be sure to get my acrylic lid needs met from Lowes from now on I'll tell you what lol.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Nice to know that lowes will cut it for you!! I will have to keep that in mind. I have to do the straight edge cutting method (As I haven't gotten around to buying a dremel, not sure what brand would be a decent but cheap one) and that is killer on my shoulders and elbows since I unfortunatly have tendinitis in both. I'll be sure to get my acrylic lid needs met from Lowes from now on I'll tell you what lol.
Just get the introductory level Dremel... that's the brand name! It'll run you about $40.

Yeah, the scoring method is terrible. I never managed to get it down perfectly. Unfortunately, the Dremel method leaved very rugged edges - it functions just fine, but it's ugly. Lowe's uses the scoring method, but they have actual equipment to do it. You end up with nice, clean, sharp(!) edges.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
If you want some light over your tank, I suggest clip on lamps with led bulbs. Cheap and works great. It's what I use for my 55 gallon. (Full of actual fish.) I'm sure this is obvious, but watch the wattage. LED lights are quite bright and you don't want to overdo it for your T's sake.

lunarae

Arachnobaron
Just get the introductory level Dremel... that's the brand name! It'll run you about $40.

Yeah, the scoring method is terrible. I never managed to get it down perfectly. Unfortunately, the Dremel method leaved very rugged edges - it functions just fine, but it's ugly. Lowe's uses the scoring method, but they have actual equipment to do it. You end up with nice, clean, sharp(!) edges.
Thanks. I'll look into that ^.^ If my dad would pull his laser out of the mound of stuff he has it buried under I could just use that for cutting and making holes in acrylic but....well it's buried under a mound of stuff LOL

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Thanks. I'll look into that ^.^ If my dad would pull his laser out of the mound of stuff he has it buried under I could just use that for cutting and making holes in acrylic but....well it's buried under a mound of stuff LOL
Your father has a laser cutter?! I'd be down there digging it out myself! That's absolutely perfect for acrylic!

lunarae

Arachnobaron
Your father has a laser cutter?! I'd be down there digging it out myself! That's absolutely perfect for acrylic!
haha yeah. he's got a laser cutter as well as a 3D printer and a bunch of DIY things. He had a spare 'small' drill press he let me bring home. I have a few of these coming in the mail now:

That I plan to drill vent holes in and get set up for some sling enclosures. They're 250 card count boxes, @Kymura was kind enough to point them out to me, from his pics they are beautifully clear and they have the hinged snap lids, says they work great. Gonna give them a shot XD.

As for my dad, he learned how to be an old school blacksmith for the SCA and such even at one point. I had a home made fork and knife set from him that was very medieval style. But he jumps around in what he likes to work on. Right now he's rebuilding a 100 year old rifle or some such and has been focusing on that. Which is why his laser and his 3D printer is both buried under a bunch of stuff lol. I want to try and figure out how to get it someplace easier to access and use though because it would make life a lot easier for some of the things I wanna do/make.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
haha yeah. he's got a laser cutter as well as a 3D printer and a bunch of DIY things. He had a spare 'small' drill press he let me bring home. I have a few of these coming in the mail now:

That I plan to drill vent holes in and get set up for some sling enclosures. They're 250 card count boxes, @Kymura was kind enough to point them out to me, from his pics they are beautifully clear and they have the hinged snap lids, says they work great. Gonna give them a shot XD.

As for my dad, he learned how to be an old school blacksmith for the SCA and such even at one point. I had a home made fork and knife set from him that was very medieval style. But he jumps around in what he likes to work on. Right now he's rebuilding a 100 year old rifle or some such and has been focusing on that. Which is why his laser and his 3D printer is both buried under a bunch of stuff lol. I want to try and figure out how to get it someplace easier to access and use though because it would make life a lot easier for some of the things I wanna do/make.
And a 3D printer?

That's it. I'm moving to Montana.