Active Terrestrial NW Tarantula

Eldar

Arachnopeon
I have adult female b.hamorii, 99% of a day, its like a rock. No movement at all.

I plan to get second adult female tarantula, please help me with advise.

Which tarantula I should get, if I want more active tarantula?

I read all topics like this here and everythere, but mostly offered are arborials, or more toxic species.

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
My C. Cyaneopubescens spends a lot of her time webbing, but there are times where I feel like she has been in the same spot for 12+ hours.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
G. iheringi, the only T I keep that is in constant motion.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My Aphonopelma paloma is constantly digging, making complex tunnel systems

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Brachypelma albopilosum or Grammastola pulchripes. These are my most active t's. Both are easy to keep as well. But ymmv. Also depends if you want terrestrial or arboreal.

Eldar

Arachnopeon
Thanks to all for replies.
Geniculata and gramastola (pulchra or pulchripes) now my favs.

What about parahybana? Is it generally active, or like brachypelma h.?

I've got pulchra a week before. Put it in new enclosure. Same day put in new enclosure my hamorii.

For now I can say, pulchra is much more avtive than hamorii.

Last edited by a moderator:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Tarantulas aren't active for no reason. Them just wandering around is both a waste of energy and (in the wild) potentially deadly.

Whilst some tarantulas will move around their substrate etcetera you really need to accept tarantulas aren't fish. Them staying still and conserving energy is what has made them the success they are.

Have a look at jumping spiders. When they're hungry they have a real wander around and are absolutely phenomenal to watch.

pps

Arachnopeon
Thrixopelma ockerti is my most active spider.
Nhandu species are also quite active.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I have adult female b.hamorii, 99% of a day, its like a rock. No movement at all.

I plan to get second adult female tarantula, please help me with advise.

Which tarantula I should get, if I want more active tarantula?

I read all topics like this here and everythere, but mostly offered are arborials, or more toxic species.
I'm guessing you are watching during the day. Tarantulas are nocturnal. Go in late at night in the dark with a red light and you'll see a different side of your spider.

pps

Arachnopeon
op is asking about terrestrials though.
It's semi-arboreal / semi-terrestrial, but I never saw one to spend their life near the top of enclosure even though they have opportunity to do that. They love to walk around, but when they settle for a while it's always near their hide on the bottom. They're also molting on the ground like typical terrestrial. I wouldn't keep them in one of those flat plastic boxes that some people like, but they doesn't require typical arboreal setup (like Avi, Poecilotheria, etc) either. Do you have different experiences with them?
Any kind of active terrestrial wanderer will end up by walking on the sides of the enclosure anyway, unless OP wants to create entire room for one spider :)

Giles52

Arachnopeon
I think each individual's personality plays a part in it, too. My b. Hamorii is one of my most active tarantulas. He (she) is 4+" or so and ever since I've had him/her he's been a little bulldozer. He's always moving dirt around and wrestling with his plant, or just moving about. I've watched him take all the substrate from one corner, leave it that way for a day or two, and then put it all back.

My GBB is a really active one, too. He (she) is always webbing something up or moving around. Endlessly entertaining.

TwiztedNinja

Arachnobaron
I have adult females B. hamorii/smithi and G. pulchripes that I acquired at the same time from the same seller. Out of the two, the B. has been the most "active" - hanging from the sides, never refusing food, more movement in general. The G. has been somewhat of a pet rock, and recently refusing food

I also recently acquired an A. seemani and a second T. albo and those two have been busy burrowing and making tunnels