Actinic Light

HufnPuf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
this question was kind of indirectly brought up in a recent thread but not really answered...

i was wondering if anybody knows if the actinic (aka "blue" or "moonlight") bulb from a fluorescent saltwater reef tank would make a scorp fluoresce?

in a saltwater reef tank, this light causes different organisms to glow...anenome, some plants, some algae...

just curious as to if the same effect would be had on the scorpions?

obviously i'm not expecting them to glow radioactively as they do under a black light...

any input is appreciated-thanks in advance for your time! :)

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
this question was kind of indirectly brought up in a recent thread but not really answered...

i was wondering if anybody knows if the actinic (aka "blue" or "moonlight") bulb from a fluorescent saltwater reef tank would make a scorp fluoresce?

in a saltwater reef tank, this light causes different organisms to glow...anenome, some plants, some algae...

just curious as to if the same effect would be had on the scorpions?

obviously i'm not expecting them to glow radioactively as they do under a black light...

any input is appreciated-thanks in advance for your time! :)
I have an exo-terro flourescant tube in my tank, mounted along the top. I use it mainly for picking remains of crickets out of the tank or when I'm looking for something.... but this gives a greenish glow to my p.imperator.

So I'd say yes.

You can see on the only video I have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDk47Y5KIiY

HufnPuf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks Jaffster...i do see the greenish tinge...!

i think i will just stick to the red light i have now...thanks very much for your time!

cheers

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
The lights you are inquiring about seem to have peaks in the low 400nm, meaning they probably produce noticable amounts of light back into the high-300nm. So yes, you can expect some fluorescence.

Cheers,
Dave

SgrigS

Arachnopeon
Would it harm them like UV Lights? I guess it would depend on how long the exposure was?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
That's actually a really good question. I suppose it would depend on whether the "harm" is a result from all UVA exposure or if a small difference in wavelengths makes a difference. I'm doing a bit of meddling in this area right now, so may have more answers for you in the future.

Cheers,
Dave

SgrigS

Arachnopeon
Thanks SHDave was just thinking if you could use the 03 Actinic Lights for viewing at night instead of UV.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
being an addict for scorpions and cnidarians, this topic is particularly interesting to me. let us know the results dave, as i think this would be a very interesting read.

John