Acrylic Lid from Screen Lid

joossa

Arachnobaron
I don't like the idea of having a bare piece of acrylic sitting on the inner lip of a tank as a lid. Instead, I would really prefer to affix the sheet of acrylic onto the frame of a tank lid (i.e. those common metal screen lids). The frame would add weight and also make the lid compatible with lid clamps.

How would one go about cutting the screen off of these types of lids when the gauge is thicker and the screen is affixed so well to the frame? Maybe this is the wrong type of lid to convert if I want to use the frame? See pics below

I've been trying to find lids for 10G and 20G tanks that use the much thinner mesh so I can easily cut the mesh out, but am not really seeing any for sale.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

joossa

Arachnobaron
Home depot, mesh cutters, you’re welcome
Thanks! Will aquarium safe silicone adhere well to acrylic long term? The sheet won't separate from the metal frame and come crashing down some time after the mod, will it?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Thanks! Will aquarium safe silicone adhere well to acrylic long term? The sheet won't separate from the metal frame and come crashing down some time after the mod, will it?
It shouldn’t. Realistically, if you’re fitting it to the inside of the lid. It should shed on edges of tank. Preventing it from falling down