Acrylic Cage Heating?

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
..We dont know that. We think they will molt faster so will die faster...But theres no evidence saying a t is gonna live longer at 50F. I HIGHLY doubt it.

A T might survive some days at 50F, but it will die soon. Specially a rain forest native tarantula.
Sorry i didnt mean long term life span. I mean the stress level. Also the length of time they can go with out water is longer at lower temps. humidity is higher at 50 deg than 100 deg. Ive read in ttkg that Ts will start showing signs of stress at 100-105 deg.

I also recall an experiment with LP slings i read online for a science project. They had fed 12 lps the same amount of food and tracked there molt cycle at different temperatures. 3 of the 4 kept hottest died and the rest at other temps lived (i cant recall the temps the others were kept at.) This is all hear say on my part until i find the article online so dont quote me on any of this.

There have also been cases of Ts bouncing back from the dead after being almost frozen. I guess what im trying to say is "They do better being in low temps because there is less of a chance of water loss." This is just my edjucated opinion.

Its also proven science in green bottle flies that raised temps shorten thier life dramaticaly. Also the same flies at lower temps live longer. The temps have a direct effect on thier metabolism since they are cold blooded. This is common knowledge in the world of entimology and criminal science. So why wouldnt this apply to tarantulas? They are cold blooded bugs no?

Last edited:

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You dont want to keep a tarantula at 100F for a long period of time, no doubt...But at ver low temps such 50F they wont do fine either.

Also, well, humidity can be reached at the same level wheter is 50 or 90F...In general you dont want to go to extremes.

50F is a slow " death penalty"...She will be literaly a rock to the point of not moving at all,not feeding... but 100F will stress and fry the T. For sure :(