Accidentally buried my tarantula.

Blaze80

Arachnopeon
So I was feeding my T.albopilosus sling a dubia roach and it ended up covering up her hole. I removed the dubia but I'm not sure what I should do. Should I just let her dig herself out? She has like an 'air bubble' but just has a wall of dirt covering her entrance.

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It is capable of digging itself out if it has a burrow anyway, I dont see anything to worry about really

Niss

Arachnopeon
So I was feeding my T.albopilosus sling a dubia roach and it ended up covering up her hole. I removed the dubia but I'm not sure what I should do. Should I just let her dig herself out? She has like an 'air bubble' but just has a wall of dirt covering her entrance.
I'd imagine a spider in the wild has to deal with such issues from time to time so I wouldn't expect an issue. Keep an eye out and see if she doesn't just sort herself out, they usually do. Also, the substrate does allow for some air exchange as I've had plenty of spiders "close up shop" to pre-moult, and then hang around underground with no opening to the surface for months.

Honestly, sometimes I think a burrow is blocked, but then I've seen one of mine get startled and ran right to what I thought was flat earth and just magically passed right through it like something in a movie. I'm guessing now she was the one that closed that entrance, but must have webbed a bit to keep the surface substrate from falling into the tunnel underneath; however, she certainly seemed aware it wasn't actually a barrier to her (and knew exactly where it was).

~N