Acceptable risk, shipping temps?

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I need to ship a mature male GBB from mass to tenn, the weather has been unseasonably and consistently going down to the low 30's f and is showing little sign of letting up. I'd like to wait for at least 40's but the recipient would like the T ASAP and I feel like may be I'm being too cautious about the temps. I know a heat pack is fairly standard practice but I've heard bad things about overheating in insulated packaging particularly if it sits some place warm for too long.
I'm shipping USPS express mail and I don't really trust them to be positivly overnite.

Anyone with adverse weather experience care to weigh in?

Thanks,
Bill

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Its always the shippers call. If you dont want to risk it dont. Its not going to kill the guy to wait a few weeks, his girl is not going to be any less ready if it shows up later rather then tomorrow.

I personally dont like to ship when I know the recieving location is going to have temps in the low too mid 30's, in the rare case that I do I use heat packs. But when given the choice I avoid it and wait.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree with Ryan, it's your choice to wait if you want. I, myself, wouldn't ship till it was atleast the mid-upper 40's or low 50's. Yes, you could always put in heat packs, but shipping in the 30's is always an unnecessary risk. I say tell the recipient that your gonna wait for warmer weather. If the Ts can wait the person can.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
you could probably ship to them without damaging the spider. i've shipped into high 30's before with no problem.

see if you can find any of my posts on heat pack hacking.

p.s. if i'm shipping into 50's i don't use a heat pack. if i am shipping into colder temps i do.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you use heat packs and the package is well insulated, you should probably be fine. I would just check to make sure that there is true overnight shipping to the location you are sending him. I've personally never had a problem with USPS and have shipped many T's through them, but they can't guarantee overnight to all locations so sometimes it takes two days. But you can find this out before you ship at the post office if you have the recipient's zip code.