Acanthoscurria geniculata...the eggsac

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
John,
Now thats great news. A. geni. is my very fave. T in my collection.
I really wish you good luck in hatching it out.:D
How long do you plan to leave the sac with mom?

Ernie

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cool..

Congrats man that's a mighty big lookin sack there. :)

Phil

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

congrats john:), i have to agree with phil that sac looks huge!--Jeff

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey John.

How long did it take after your genics mated for the female to produce the eggsac?

Is the amount of time between insemination and egg production consistant per species?

Jon

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great! I have 2 slings(3/8") now and they are great little eaters. How many eggs are in an A. genic. sac??

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Buspirone
How many eggs are in an A. genic. sac??
From what I've heard about 1500-2000, correct me if I'm wrong.

Dennis

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
Hey John.
How long did it take after your genics mated for the female to produce the eggsac?
Sometime in Dec. '02 for this genic to 6-13-03. Not bad for a Friday the 13th.

Is the amount of time between insemination and egg production consistant per species?
I have another female that hooked up with a loaned male in Feb. of this year. So we'll see.
I doubt there is any consistancy between actual mating and eggsac production with any given species. There's many factors to consider and let's not forget tarantulas are individuals too.
But we'll see what happens with female #2.

Female #2 was over at Tommy Agosta's home for the mating (picking up P. miranda that day :) ). The male used only one palpal bulb to inseminate. Tommy said that he seen that with one of his females. That female went on to produce around 600 with that breeding. Another interesting item that occured from that coupling was that the female left a little wet spot on the substrate after the mating. I guess we're not the only ones :)
john

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a question also

So LaRiz watcha plan on doing with the slings
By the ways congrats.
Big sac!
i'm sure every one compliments you on your sac lol i crack my self up!
well any ways have a nice day
geo

Dafne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congratulations John :)
Good luck with the eggsack :D

Originally posted by Buspirone
Great! I have 2 slings(3/8") now and they are great little eaters. How many eggs are in an A. genic. sac??

As far as I have heard Acanthoscurria geniculata species typically has around 1000-1200 eggs in one eggsack :)

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Nice pic, I didnt know they had that many eggs, but after seeing the size of the egg sac i believe it. Are you going to pull the egg sac ? It looks like the spider made it right there in the corner of the tank out in the open. Did you provide it with some sort of shelter ?

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Philth
Nice pic, I didnt know they had that many eggs, but after seeing the size of the egg sac i believe it. Are you going to pull the egg sac ? It looks like the spider made it right there in the corner of the tank out in the open. Did you provide it with some sort of shelter ?
Actually, yes. Something "told" me that she was nearing. Just her behavoir. Kinda like she was thermoregulating more than usual. So I put in a tipped terra cotta flower pot with a cork bark slab leaning on the entrance. This was ignored.
Early morning, one day, she chose a corner and began to spin. She didn't stop. Her webby enclosure was about the size of a softball and just as round. She webbed it up so much the bottom was like paper and you couldn't see inside.
By the next morning, it was all torn down and balled up underneath her. That's when I took the pic.
I'll let her have it for 30 days and pull it.
john

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Nice picture, I like good news=D

Pretty soon you will have to have a sling party!
Invite a dozen friends over to help put them in vials:)

Thats going to be a lot of work. I hope that all goes well
and you will soon hear the pitter patter of hundreds of
tiny feet.=D

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here's the opened eggsac showing post embryos.
Eggsac was opened at 26 days.
john

Attachments

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here the eggs w/legs are in the rearing container.
They're pretty advanced in development. It's day 32 and some have started molting into 1st instars.
(look bottom,center of the pic)
And this is the first time I had to use two rearing containers. There's a small boatload here.
john

Attachments

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Oooooh they're darling!!! (My birthday is August 19th....=D )

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Great pictures and I can hardly wait to add a couple more of these into my collection :)