Acanthoscurria Geniculata Care/Guidelines

Raven 13

Arachnopeon
In a couple days I will be receiving a 1/3-1/2" A. Geniculata sling. This is my third T, but first of this species. Any tips on caring for and housing this particular T?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Usually, for fast growing birdeaters you want maybe 4x the length and 3x the width of the T for dimmensions. I have a young juvie, and she loves to burrow. Made a huge den under the bark I gave her. They love to eat, and appreciate some overflow of the dish for humidity. Maybe every week or so, overflow the dish. Otherwise, great choice! They grow fast and eat like machines, so I'm sure you'll love it. Just feed it every few days and it will do great :D! Good luck and hope it does well (and is female, males mostly stink ;))

Raven 13

Arachnopeon
Since she's only going to be around 1/2" when she arrives, would a 16oz deli cup work for the time being? And would you use a water bowl for a sling that small?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Since she's only going to be around 1/2" when she arrives, would a 16oz deli cup work for the time being? And would you use a water bowl for a sling that small?
a 16oz deli cup is perfect. my fav for all terrestrial slings. id use that till shes about 1.5". yes a water bowl is fine, slings can not drown, they float due to their setae (hair) repelling water.

cold blood

Staff member
I have little genic slings, start them in your basic condiment cup with damp sub....these things hatch tiny, i would anticipate slings on the smaller side of your given estimations. Wait till theyre over 1/2" for the deli cups....3/4" is where i will personally make the upgrade to the deli.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I agree with cold blood. When you get to the deli cup, use a 1/2 liter water bottle cap for a water dish. In the smaller container, dampen one side of the substrate. Your sling will get water from that.

Raven 13

Arachnopeon
Thank you very much for all the tips. I'm very excited to watch this one grow!

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
As it gets bigger provide a good amount of substrate depth. Mine had a crazy digging stage and made a cool tunnel going from the back of its hide and coming out about 5 or so inches away from the hide.

They are almost always on display and never refuse a meal unless in heavy premolt. This is a good reason to not handle this species unless no other options are present. They think anything that moves near them is food.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
As it gets bigger provide a good amount of substrate depth. Mine had a crazy digging stage and made a cool tunnel going from the back of its hide and coming out about 5 or so inches away from the hide.

They are almost always on display and never refuse a meal unless in heavy premolt. This is a good reason to not handle this species unless no other options are present. They think anything that moves near them is food.
Yeah I love these guys but you definitely want to keep your fingers out of there. I have a juvie suspect female and she literally tries to eat anything that moves near her...whether it is water going into her water dish or tongs doing maintenance. Mine has never been much of a digger...she's always been out just chilling.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
What is a good substrate to use for Acanthoscurria geniculata?

I am considering getting one of these as my next tarantula. I currently use coconut fiber in my enclosures, but I would think that it wouldn't be very good for burrowing.

cold blood

Staff member
Any good sub for one t is a good sub for any t. Coco fiber, peat moss, eco earth, jungle mix and top soil are all fine choices and just matter of personal preference.