About your first molt

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by invadermike
Before i got my frist T i knew about molting and everything i researched alot. It just so happens that i was a by the book tarantula keeper and i was very paranoid about the humidity. im not any more, but then i was... and i was gonig on vacation to Virginia and i knew she was going to molt, just didn't know when, Then while i was gone i got a call from my mom "Mike, how are you? having fun... I think your tarantula died", and i said "WHAT??????" and i started to freak and and get really mad, and i said "why whats wrong with her? where is she?"... and she said "shes on her back in her tank" and i said, "whoooooooo you scared the sh!t out of me!!!!" and my mom was just confused, and i said "leave her alone she molting, dont touch her." hahaha it was crazy... I never got to see it though :( but i have seen molts scince then, but never of that T... yet. but iexpect one coming up from her, and this time i wont be on vacation! haha. =D
Would you say that you were a manic misting type person? I'm finding that I've been worried about the moistness level in my Pinktoe's tank. I mist it whenever I feel the substrate and it's dry. I do think my Pinktoe is starting the molt session because she's not eaten her second cricket so I scooped it out of her tank post haste. I'm also noticing it's taking her forever to eat the one cricket she already caught.

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i rarely mist now, T's do fine with the humidity in my house, just make sure their water bowl if always filled, the only T's i mist are spiderlings and i only mist lightly, because they are to small for water bowls. Don't be to worried about it, just make sure they drink, if you never see them drinnk, you mighht want to mist a little, but i'm sure it's fine.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Joanie
Ha, I've also seen the opposite....at a local pet store I saw a fairly nice-looking T. blondi in a cage with a sign posted on the cage reading "THIS TARANTULA IS IN THE PROCESS OF MOLTING. DO NOT DISTURB." The thing is, it wasn't molting. It was just sitting there, right side up, just hanging out. When I was waiting in line, one of the staff looked in on the spider and said, "yep, she should be done any time now!"

I didn't even know what to say.
I stopped asking petshop people for information a long time ago. Now that I think back, it is amazing how I actually believed some of the most rediculous thing they told me.