About to go pick up a puppy from a local breeder

basin79

ArachnoGod
I decided to get him snipped. As for lines, I did research on day one via AKC. Agility is still on the horizon. classes start later this month (after his final puppy vaccines

He's come a long way in basic training. Only 2-3 accidents and that's it. Clicker training is going good. Right now I'm working on his bolting habit. He knows basic commands.

Romeo is just an all around perfect little dog, that has more than filled the void left by Buddy (my Shih Tzu that died in October of last year of old age and heart disease).
You mean you've decided to get him snipped rather than you've already had him snipped surely?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I decided to get him snipped.
It doesn't have to be one or the other lol He can remain intact and not be bred ;)

If you do neuter him, wait until he is at least 2 years old. Vets and rescues are pushing for pediatric neuters because they would rather the dog suffer some health consequences than possibly produce more dogs. Neutering a dog before he is mature takes away the hormones that tell his growth plates when to close and causes skeletal malformations. Not enough to totally wreck a dog in most circumstances, but definitely enough that it could ruin his chances of being a sport dog. And especially since Corgis have dwarfism, you want him to grow as naturally as possible for as long as possible to be as healthy as possible :)

Sorry for all the unsolicited advice LOL

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
It doesn't have to be one or the other lol He can remain intact and not be bred ;)

If you do neuter him, wait until he is at least 2 years old. Vets and rescues are pushing for pediatric neuters because they would rather the dog suffer some health consequences than possibly produce more dogs. Neutering a dog before he is mature takes away the hormones that tell his growth plates when to close and causes skeletal malformations. Not enough to totally wreck a dog in most circumstances, but definitely enough that it could ruin his chances of being a sport dog. And especially since Corgis have dwarfism, you want him to grow as naturally as possible for as long as possible to be as healthy as possible :)

Sorry for all the unsolicited advice LOL
He's developed some bad habits already that you would only see in dogs that are not neutered. Better to get him fixed than let him urinate everywhere. (Shih tzu used to mark everything from trees to walls, until I finally got him neutered).

He's not quite old enough for the operation yet. Think I heard somewhere that it is good to get corgis neutered at around a year, in order to prevent some back problems.

basin79

ArachnoGod
He's developed some bad habits already that you would only see in dogs that are not neutered. Better to get him fixed than let him urinate everywhere. (Shih tzu used to mark everything from trees to walls, until I finally got him neutered).

He's not quite old enough for the operation yet. Think I heard somewhere that it is good to get corgis neutered at around a year, in order to prevent some back problems.
I wouldn't blame the fact he's intact for pissing on things. That's more down to training on what's acceptable.

Also definitely wait until he's mature before having his spuds removed. Let him grow to his potential.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
He's developed some bad habits already that you would only see in dogs that are not neutered. Better to get him fixed than let him urinate everywhere.
That's absolute nonsense. Neutered dogs pee too. A puppy that age doesn't have the hormones to display intact male dog behaviour. As basin said, whatever issues you are having are training related NOT hormone related. ALL of my dogs are intact - some have been bred, some have not. NONE pee in inappropriate places because they have been taught what is acceptable and what isn't. Keep your puppy on a leash in the house, learn the warning signs for a pup needing to potty, and take him out immediately. I cannot imagine what behaviours you think are attributed to him being intact?

For example - A friend of mine has a dog who was neutered at 4 months old at animal control and adopted out. He was later returned to a rescue for "marking" everywhere... at a year and a half old, he started lifting his leg indoors on the couch, doors, etc. He had had ZERO training, had ZERO manners, and was a complete a-hole when my friend got him. MULTIPLE people who met him advised my friend, "If you neuter him, he'll stop all this and calm right down!" At which point she'd swing him around so they could see his other end and inform them the dog hadn't had testicles in years.

Neutering is NOT the solution vets want you to think it is. A dog's genetic temperament and training contribute more to their behaviour than being intact or not. A year old is the *minimum* age that would be appropriate for neutering.

I wouldn't blame the fact he's intact for pissing on things. That's more down to training on what's acceptable.

Also definitely wait until he's mature before having his spuds removed. Let him grow to his potential.
100% agree.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
P.S. This thread needs more cute puppy photos :p

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
@Teal more puppy photos you say? Got a great one right here. (Ok 2, but who's counting)

20190912_082129.jpg

Nap time in his playpen

20190824_152305.jpg

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
He is SO precious <3

(And needs a nail trim lol)

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
He is SO precious <3

(And needs a nail trim lol)
He just happened to get a trim after that first picture was taken. He got his final puppy shots as well. Now he can go for walks like other dogs.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
He just happened to get a trim after that first picture was taken. He got his final puppy shots as well. Now he can go for walks like other dogs.
Double YAY! :happy:

Have you considered doing herding trials with him? A friend of mine does them with her mom's Pembroke and it is so brilliant to watch that dog go from a floofy housepet to a serious herding machine! Instincts are amazing, and super fun when you can mold them into useful tools.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Double YAY! :happy:

Have you considered doing herding trials with him? A friend of mine does them with her mom's Pembroke and it is so brilliant to watch that dog go from a floofy housepet to a serious herding machine! Instincts are amazing, and super fun when you can mold them into useful tools.
That's something I should definitely think about if there are indeed herding trials around here.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That's something I should definitely think about if there are indeed herding trials around here.
There likely are!

There are a ton of different fun sports... If your pup has a desire to use his sniffer, there is nosework and barn hunt too!

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
"They did things to me dude. Real messed up things".
I think he enjoyed it. The ladies were all over him (seriously the vet assistants gave him a lot of attention)

Never a dull moment with this little puppy.

20191215_140838.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Earlier today Romeo thought it was nap time, so he was waiting for me in my bed.

20200201_131209.jpg