About to buy a 1 inch Desert Hairy

Chicagoblue

Arachnopeon
I'm new to the hobby. I was wondering what to feed a scorpion thats only 1inch in lenght.

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
small crickets should be fine if not kill them and make him pinch them thats what i do for my emp he seems to not like to get touched by them lol

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A Desert Hairy is a pretty aggressive hunter, no need to kill a bug for them, a couple small crickets and enjoy the show.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If your collection ever grows, consider getting a roach colony. They are easier, quieter, cheaper, and less smelly than crickets! :)

Chicagoblue

Arachnopeon
Thanks for your suggestion Nomadinexile. Thats something to consider.

Last edited:

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are you able to buy an adult? It might save you from an early heartbreak in the hobby.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
^ agreed. I have heard they have hard time molting as young.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Several people, including myself have had some sucsess getting this species to molt in captivity. THe key to me seems to be humidity. A lot of people have been told to keep this species to dry. I was able to get mine to molt by simulating a cold spell and keeping the bottom of the substrate with a higher amount of humidity. Also deep substrate should make maintaing the proper humidity much easier. THat way the scorpion can move to were it is most comfortable.

John

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Several people, including myself have had some sucsess getting this species to molt in captivity. THe key to me seems to be humidity. A lot of people have been told to keep this species to dry. I was able to get mine to molt by simulating a cold spell and keeping the bottom of the substrate with a higher amount of humidity. Also deep substrate should make maintaing the proper humidity much easier. THat way the scorpion can move to were it is most comfortable.

John
How deep did you have the substrate? I also believe in what you're saying, especially with the humidity. It's ridiculous to keep them on a few inches when in their natural environments they're found deep in several feet of substrate. I'm sure there's another explanation for why they go that far down other than avoiding the heat.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How deep did you have the substrate? I also believe in what you're saying, especially with the humidity. It's ridiculous to keep them on a few inches when in their natural environments they're found deep in several feet of substrate. I'm sure there's another explanation for why they go that far down other than avoiding the heat.
I try for at least 8" usually more. They can be prone to fungal infections. So giving them that gradient is important as well as good ventalation. They'll go were they need to be. Even in Arizona the humidity is much higher under a few inches of dirt. I was out flipping rocks today. A few things are still out. The soil under the rocks was still dark in a few places, in shady spots like under tree limbs. Our last real rain was several weeks ago.

John

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I try for at least 8" usually more. They can be prone to fungal infections. So giving them that gradient is important as well as good ventalation. They'll go were they need to be. Even in Arizona the humidity is much higher under a few inches of dirt. I was out flipping rocks today. A few things are still out. The soil under the rocks was still dark in a few places, in shady spots like under tree limbs. Our last real rain was several weeks ago.

John
ugh... you know I've been thinking about that... but how would I add it to a cage that ones already settled into... been trying to figure that out, it's got some nice burrows already.
this link has a pic. of my set up

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just take it out and add it Orchid!

It will build new ones. I wouldn't do it when if you think it's close to molting, otherwise, I think it would appreciate the opportunity to dig deeper ones, more than it would miss the shallow ones! :)

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just take it out and add it Orchid!

It will build new ones. I wouldn't do it when if you think it's close to molting, otherwise, I think it would appreciate the opportunity to dig deeper ones, more than it would miss the shallow ones! :)
Egads, it took me a week to set up lol. make a layer of wet, let it dry, make a layer of dry and portion wet... on and on for a few days at least lol

so, maybe gravel on the bottom?? with a straw or pipe down to it I guess, or could I just keep the bottom dirt moist by adding a pipe and wetting the dirt... what would you suggest, the easy one I hope lol

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ah..... wouldn't that be nice.... :p

I think you could run the pipe down, and build on top of the "old" substrate. Stick your D.h. in a temp tank with a little sub, even dry coco with a jerry-rigged hide (small box with hole), should be fine for a week. Let it dry, and then show it it's new home!

I wouldn't use gravel personally. You shouldn't be adding enough water to need it. And you want to allow it to burrow in, which gravel won't allow. I'm afraid the "easy" option isn't the best one, in this case. sorry!

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah..... wouldn't that be nice.... :p

I think you could run the pipe down, and build on top of the "old" substrate. Stick your D.h. in a temp tank with a little sub, even dry coco with a jerry-rigged hide (small box with hole), should be fine for a week. Let it dry, and then show it it's new home!

I wouldn't use gravel personally. You shouldn't be adding enough water to need it. And you want to allow it to burrow in, which gravel won't allow. I'm afraid the "easy" option isn't the best one, in this case. sorry!
LOL... actually you did pick my easy option!!! SOOOOO that means dig down to the bottom layer of dirt not dig it all up and add gravel. That I can do without messing up the whole tank :)

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think that's a great idea Chicago. Just re-read AzJohns advice. Some people have had problems with them, but others have done just fine. Read what they right, and you should do fine. ;)