About that millipede

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm just leaving in a bit to go pick him up, and I was wondering about handling. I mean, I know I can handle them, but what do you guys think? Do you guys handle your millipedes? What do you recommend?

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Handling shouldn't be a problem. If a millipede refuses to uncurl, then it's stressed, and returning to the terrarium would be a good idea. If it seems happy to explore around your hands and arms, then it's ok.

Hope this helps. Have fun with your new baby! :D

hermitman64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, I hear quite often that "millipedes (like all invertebrates) should not be handled frequently."

However, I hold mine a lot every single day and have had no problems in my years of owning millipedes.

Good luck! :D

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Seconded. They're pretty darn hardy critters.

Though, the local bugzoo had problems with theirs dying, but I think that was because the carts used to transport tanks to cars / campus on the way to outreaches were really rattly.

So, don't vibrate them (duh) and they'll be fine. :D

ahas

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I also never had millipedes before. Just wondering if they bite.

thanks,

Fred

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When they need protien in their diet, they nibble a little, but it takes around 15 minutes for them to break the skin. Until then, it just feels weird and a little uncomfortable.

If this happens, give them a prekilled pinky mouse, hermit crab pellets, or dog food. That should help.

And yes . . . they'll eat the pinky.

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I ended up not getting the millipede...I was going to, but at the store I saw this T and fell in loooove. I posted it in anouncements.

Mallard

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My Giant African Black doesnt bite but it does nibble a little. I have read here that if you leave it nibble long enough is could possibly draw blood.
However that would take a conciderable amount of time.
Good Luck
Jason

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As I said earlier, another user's personal experience shows it takes about 15 minutes to draw blood. It just means they need some more protien in their diet.

Even though they're usually considered scavengers of plant material, they'll scavenge carrion as well.

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Biting isn't a problem at all. The only downside is that they will excrete a chemical on you if they are stressed. This chemical can dye your hands for a day or so, but is really nothing to worry about. Just wash your hands really well after handling.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Seconded. They're pretty darn hardy critters.

Though, the local bugzoo had problems with theirs dying, but I think that was because the carts used to transport tanks to cars / campus on the way to outreaches were really rattly.

So, don't vibrate them (duh) and they'll be fine. :D
actually, i think most bugs are more resistant to vibration that is commonly accepted... my room mate has a recording studio in our house. i would say about 25% of the time i have 100+db music coursing through my house and i have no real problem keeping any "normal" bugs alive. i even put an A. avicularia in my room mate's monitoring room (where it is even louder than my bedroom... by like 10+db at least) and it has been doing great. molted twice so far :)

My Giant African Black doesnt bite but it does nibble a little. I have read here that if you leave it nibble long enough is could possibly draw blood.
However that would take a conciderable amount of time.
Good Luck
Jason
a long time and i suspect only the larger specimens are going to have the like, strength to gnaw through eventually anways.

Biting isn't a problem at all. The only downside is that they will excrete a chemical on you if they are stressed. This chemical can dye your hands for a day or so, but is really nothing to worry about. Just wash your hands really well after handling.
a local species produced the most pronounced affect like that i have ever seen.... it looked like my buddy's hand was rotting from like, death bruises. there was no actual damage, though. i think it is er... this purple stuff you can put on cuts. they burn seaweed to extract it... what is that stuff called? starts with an "i"? oh well, harmless to get on your skin from AGB's and fairly amusing.

freaking IODINE!