about P.Imperators

Panic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
P.Imperators. do you guys house a pair of these in 1 enclosure? or do u seperate them once they mated? i have a pair arriving this saturday or monday, its an adult pair. female already gravid. what do you guys think? i house them seperately? or put them in one enclosure? i don't want to take risks of them eating one another. will they eat one another or fight if housed together?

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would keep them seperately, I've heard that gravid emps sometimes kill other scorps.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Greetings;

Pandinus imperators are pretty good at communal housing, generally 1 P imp per 5 gallons (in a 20 gallon tank 4 P imps [I keep single P imps in as little as 2.5 gallons]) The female if gravid may display aggression towards the male (or any tank mate for that matter) and should be housed separately. If you keep them together until she gives birth you should then take the male out as he may view her as a lunch cart and eat the young. The young should stay with the mother until 1st moult, usually 2 week (or until they leave the back) then could be separated. Some leave the young with the mother until I3, it is owner preference. Here is a great link to a thread about rearing Pandinus & Heterometrus young By Brian http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=69385 Also make sure to keep the mom away from loud noise and undue stress (she may cannibalize the young due to stress) And keep the temps and humidity up high to help in moulting.

As a side note: All communal scorpions may cannibalize their tank mates at any time even if they are great together for years. "they are communal until they are not"

GL, Thaedion

Panic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks xVOWx and thaedion.

maybe i will just seperate them to be sure until the female gives birth and the young is already seprated. then that is the time i house them together? is this a good idea?

@thaedion: btw i jus watched your video of a false bottom setup. it helped a lot. i will be using that kind of setup. thanks :worship:

Panic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
oh and one more thing. what if i just house them seperately and never house them together? i am too scared to house them together even if the female is not gravid. i can't take the risk of one eating the other because it is very hard to find people selling emps in my country. i will just house them together during mating time. what do you think of this?

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That should work. I would keep an eye on them while they are being housed together, since they are hard to come by where you are from.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
oh and one more thing. what if i just house them seperately and never house them together? i am too scared to house them together even if the female is not gravid. i can't take the risk of one eating the other because it is very hard to find people selling emps in my country. i will just house them together during mating time. what do you think of this?
To be honest with you I was scared I was really scared to introduce my Female P.imp to my male. There was some initial fighting but seemed more like a combination of a mating dance and a handshake. They normally just whip each other with the side of their tail when annoyed but prefer to walk away than fight. Right now I have a 10 gallon set up with 2 P.imps (used to be three) and 2 H.spins and get along fine. Have NEVER seen fighting between them but have noticed that when I turn off the heat they seperate. H.spins in 1 corner and and P.imps in the other.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
thanks ... thaedion: btw i jus watched your video of a false bottom setup. it helped a lot. i will be using that kind of setup. thanks
Y/W if you need anymore info about how I set up that style of tank let me know.

Thaedion