aaarrghhhh!!!!!! does anyone know where i can fin this for sale??????

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow, these are quite common here...didn't know they were difficult to find in the USA!
http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/insect/product_info.php?products_id=955
They used to be common here in the US as well, but a few years ago there was a ban put on the importation of them. Something to do with a mite that they regularly carry that is not native to our country, and was causing problems on cotton farms? Now the only available ones are captive bred- unfortunately, they mature slow and there are very few breeders in the US at this time.

Mez

Arachnoknight
They used to be common here in the US as well, but a few years ago there was a ban put on the importation of them. Something to do with a mite that they regularly carry that is not native to our country, and was causing problems on cotton farms? Now the only available ones are captive bred- unfortunately, they mature slow and there are very few breeders in the US at this time.
Man, watching those mites go to work is the best bit! Does anyone know what the actual symbiosis is? Ive always presumed its fungas/cleaning based...

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Man, watching those mites go to work is the best bit! Does anyone know what the actual symbiosis is? Ive always presumed its fungas/cleaning based...
I consider it commensal, or at least, my AGBs have been mite free for about 9 months now, and there has been no ill affect. I intensively de-mited my female repeatedly until every last one was gone, and that was before the babies showed up, out and she has lived the longest out of the many ABGs I have had over the years (when they were much more common). Could be coincidence of course, but she still is healthy without those mites.
I would too be interested to hear more about the mites, not only the interactions between the species, but also how they affect crops and such.