A. Versicolour care

mr_x_plosion

Arachnopeon
got my fisrt arboreal spider a couple of days ago. Its also the smaillest T I have ever had, leg span is about half inch.

Its gorgeous, my fave T so far out of the 5 I have had.

I want to make sure I care for her properlly, currently in a jar about 5" high with coco fibre substrate and a bit of cork bark for it ti climb up, its already webbed a home near the bottom.

I made lots of holes in the lid with a sharp blade, is this enough ventilation?

I sprayed a little bit of water in down each side and wet the top of the bark yet today it looks dry in there again, should I wet it a little every day?

For when its bigger I plan on getting a tank thats 8x8x16" enclosure with a top lid and a sliding front door, the place im getting it from can also add some mesh around the top, is this a good idea to help with ventilation? obviously it will be some time before its big enough for that enclosure but I want to buy it ready.

Im keeping it at room temps, trying to make sure my room stays around 20-21 degrees celcius, is this ok?

Any help or advice would be great, I really love this little beauty.

Nick

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just got my first Avic a little over a week ago. Have done alot of reading about them and from what I have seen plenty of ventilation is key with these. Also be carefull with one that small, they can fit through some little spaces.
Keep it damp but not soaked. Mist a couple of times a week, at that size they will drink from the droplets on the sides of the container.
Good luck, I hope it does real well.

julesee

Arachnopeon
If anyone knows of some good care sheets on versicolors, could you please post some links? My versicolor is doing great, but i want to read up on it some more

T Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would put some holes towards the bottom of the container for better ventilation.

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For my two avics I keep them on dry substrate and just mist the sides every other day so they can drink. Average temp on my T shelf is around 78F. My current containers for both have around 26-34 holes in both the top and sides each (2mm holes), and for the smaller T's like the 0.5" you have (or smaller) I will take strips of tissue paper and place them over the holes, followed by scotch tape. Then poke through with a safety pin or paper clip. This gives them ventilation holes still, but the TP and tape temporarily makes the vents holes smaller to prevent them from escape. Then after a molt or two, just pull off the tape and paper when you know they can't fit through.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I personally mist my versicolour everyday. Just a couple of drops of water in it's webbing so it can have a drink if it wants. They aren't aggressive eaters like many other T's; In fact, mine is a bit picky. One thing that is most important : MAKE SURE IT HAS LOTS OF VENTILATION. Watch for prey remains with this species; With all that moister, prey remains will rot to something quite nasty very quickly.

Good luck, and welcome to the boards. It's nice to see someone else use the Queen's English ( colour, NOT color )