A.versicolor sling

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi everyone,

I'm getting an A.versicolor sling, probably 1/2 inch or so and I understand they are very fragile. How do I go about housing them? Do they still like to be up high and make webs or are they terrestrial for their spiderling lives? I've got several baby food jars probably 2 inches in diameter that would work but if they make the web up top that would be unacceptable being on the lid.

Any tips would be appreciated to make the little sling's life as good as possible. Pics would be great if anyone has some handy.

Thanks,

Mark

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i'm getting one too on tuesday! |D mine should be about 3/4" and i am SO excited! we can compare notes and growth rates eh? awesome. :D

well, if you have any other Avics you'll know that they need high humidity along with good ventilation. i think the baby food jar is a good choice as long as you have LOTS of tiny holes in the lid. that'll encourage good air flow. all my other slings i keep in rubbermaid containers but i do NOT think this would work well with an Avic at all. my other A. avic is 3" and so i just keep her in a larger kritter keeper.

the other option certainly available which i am seriously considering is one of those much, much smaller kritter keepers. as long as the holes aren't large enough for the T to escape of course...and there's the real issue.

i still haven't decided yet but i'd love it if we could keep track and compare notes. i look forward to others' responses here as well. hope this helps!

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bjorgly
Hi everyone,

I'm getting an A.versicolor sling, probably 1/2 inch or so and I understand they are very fragile. How do I go about housing them? Do they still like to be up high and make webs or are they terrestrial for their spiderling lives? I've got several baby food jars probably 2 inches in diameter that would work but if they make the web up top that would be unacceptable being on the lid.

Any tips would be appreciated to make the little sling's life as good as possible. Pics would be great if anyone has some handy.

Thanks,

Mark

I heard they were fragile and hard to keep as slings,but I have kept my three from tiny things up to 1.5" with no problems. They like ventilation but I dont worry about the humidity to much.I just give a quick spray as and when needed.

They do like to be up high and they do web alot. Just use a piece of corkbark or similar to climb up and web against. If you keep the cork bark a little way off the lid you will find they will web against the bark and leave the lid alone.

I have attached an old pic but its not a very good one but gives an idea.

Chid

Attachments

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My Versi sling is under 1" its in a clear deli cup with tiny holes around the top edges. Make sure the holes are small ( they can squeeze out otherwise ) go to any dollar store or whatever get a few fake greens . Stand them up in the deli cup and whatever you use as substrate . Im using vermiculite. I use a fine misting spray bottle to mist through the holes in the deli cup. These guys are so fast its hard to open the lid to mist them . Mine wants to jump out everytime , I was told they would retreat to the lower levels of the cup. Mine has other things in mind. Oh yes they also web like crazy and spend lots of time in it. :( BUt when they do come out they really are beautiful. Good Luck ! :D

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ah, now i am evermore eager (impatient!) to get mine on tuesday.

(fidgets)

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Good choice for a new T!
With all my Avic. slings, I have used small vials with about 3/4" of substrate which I keep moist to help with humidity. I use corkbark or stand up some moss so the sling has something to web too, the above seems to be true that if you have something for them to web to lower in the container, they will usually stay away from the lid.

Have fun with your new slings Bjorgly and Skadi:)

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
**wants a versicolor ** i will probably get one in the next couple of months. might get it at the nc show in aug.

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hey

Hi. I gots two Versis they are just so adorable and cute. They are fast but mine are kinda mellow and they alow me to mist them once in a while. welll any ways the only thin that is wrong with them would be the fact that they do need to be mist regularly and well b-sides that its all cool. when I first got mine they were about 1/2 also now after a molt they are 1" both. They eat alot and web alot but its ok as long as they are eating. they're coming to a molt and i'm sure they will change color(they already have some purple on abdomen) well any ways good luck with your slings. they are my fav.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
you do know not to mist any T directly right? i usually do it on the opposite side of their tank. they do NOT care to get wet. :) that's partly how you can flush wild Ts out of their burrows.