A. Versicolor Sling Care

Zman16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm planning on getting an A. Versicolor sling. From what I know Avicularia species are some what easy to care for, but I want to learn as much as I can before buying the T. I can't find any info on caring for slings, so is it any different than the adults?

Thanks

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nope not different at all, make sure whatever you chose to keep them in is well ventilated, and mist once every few days or so, as slings they drink a lot of their water from the side of the enclosure, so by misting you are giving them the water they need.

Thats about it, water feed and watch em grow. Good luck!

Zman16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nope not different at all, make sure whatever you chose to keep them in is well ventilated, and mist once every few days or so, as slings they drink a lot of their water from the side of the enclosure, so by misting you are giving them the water they need.

Thats about it, water feed and watch em grow. Good luck!
Ok that sounds pretty easy. Can the slings eat pre-killed pinhead crickets?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yep prekilled works just fine... you even can pull the leg off an adult cricket and they will eat off of that too.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ventilation

ventilation...with a capital V.
make sure you put more vents then you think you need and remember you have to keep up the humidity. and you'll be fine. if you get a sling wait till you see that blue in person and in the sunlight. its like something you've never seen before. a pic can't do a t's colors justice.

good luck have fun
tom

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, my 1" Versi sling has been remarkably easy to care for....

The only challenge I have had is getting him/her to see the prey items

Zman16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can I see a pic of A. Versicolor sling enclosure because I wanna make sure there is enough ventilation.

Thanks

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Can I see a pic of A. Versicolor sling enclosure because I wanna make sure there is enough ventilation.

Thanks
Here's my 1" versi's enclosure. Of course this jar too big for it, but the sling only sticks around its web and I can easily coax crickets up the plant to the web with some chopsticks. Make sure you have a little trapdoor in the lid like I have, because the versi will web up the lid and you don't want to have to destroy the webbing everytime you need to feed or mist. I have a piece of scotch tape over the trapdoor because I'm a bit paranoid about escapes; while rehousing this little guy it managed to squeeze out of the trapdoor and I had to catch it, which wasn't an enjoyable experience. I'm just glad it didn't jump off the lid during the transfer. :eek: I have ventilation holes in the lid and on two sides of the jar, for easy air flow. Also, make sure that you have some holes near the substrate so that any water that gets trapped down there won't attract mold.

Remember, always provide more holes than you think you need. One can never be too careful. ;)
Ventilation is more important than humidity.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You dont have to heat it. As long as you are comfortable in the house the T should be fine. 70-80 will do perfectly. Try not to get much hotter then that Avics are a bit heat sensitive. No extra heat source is needed though. My little guy boots sits on my night stand.

Zman16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh, ok. I read that they need temps in the 80's, but if you could keep them in th70's, thats awesome!

BigBryan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have a quick question... when arboreal T's make their webs attached to the cap of the container how do you feed them?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well you just have to lift the lid a tad and slide it to one side so you dont distroy the whole web. Then drop in your food.