A. versicolor question.

BigHairy8's

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey all. Just a quick Q here. My Versicolor just molted and it is obvious it's a male, by looking at his front pedipalps. He has no tibial hooks, though. My question is, do male versicolors get tibial hooks? Not up to speed on Avics, yet. By the way, he is just a little over a year old. Thanks in advance. Rich

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am pretty sure all Avics get them, so maybe you just aren't seeing them or it isn't really a male. Also a year seems a bit young for it to be maturing into a male

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The hooks may not be as obvious as you could be thinking. If the pedipalps end in blunt bulb like structures it is an ultimate male. If not then it is either an immature male or female.

SpiderZone2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was just wondering on what size your T is now if you think that it has matured? I do also have a male and he has not yet reached maturity. On the next molt probably for sure he will. I hope by that time to have some females for him. He is of good size and very healthy. I would hate for his life to end without reproducing.

Johnny_27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Im 99% sure male versis have hooks but in my experience with other avics (no mature versis tho), the hooks arent too pronounced. A year does seem a bit soon to mature tho, pics would be helpful.

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I currently have a 6" mature male (obvious palpal bulbs) and he does not have tibial hooks.

Bill

tarantulas.com

Arachnopeon
Nope no hooks

Although other Avic's do have tibial spurs, versicolor is one of those species that is an oddball among others in that genus. The same is true for T. blondi and T. apophysis, same genus one has hooks one does not.