A.Versicolor community question

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How many can you keep together and how much space per T do they need... Does it matter what sexes are kept together... etc... any info suggestions would be awesome.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This question has been asked many times.

Basically don't do it.

Use the search tool to find threads on this.

Just search "communal".

Jon

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
The only tarantulas that even seem to tolerate this are A. avicularia and Poecilotheria sp. That said, I've done two colonies of A. avicularia and had losses.

A. versicolor is highly canabalistic, compared to the other two species. I can almost guarentee a loss if you try it.

-Bryan

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh, Ok... I was told that they were ok to do in a community. Point taken... wont be doing a communal T tank.

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why would anyone want to take a chance at killing a t on purpose, I just dont get it, we all know that there will be losses, yet people still try it, why would one want to do it?:?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by mebebraz
Why would anyone want to take a chance at killing a t on purpose, I just dont get it, we all know that there will be losses, yet people still try it, why would one want to do it?:?
That's a question I'd like the answer to. I guess on the surface it just seems like such a cool idea that a lot of people "have" to try it no matter what advice they're given to the contrary. If you have a lot of Ts coming out of the woodwork because you bred them it becomes an interesting experiment, but if you're paying per sling prices I just don't get it at all. I mean, if you really want to spend all that money on what will probably wind up a single spider, you could always just buy a really nice single spider instead.

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I dont know if you guys are reffering to me or other people in general... but you did read that I am not going to right? I was wanting info as I heard this was something that could be done... I always research and communicate with experts before taking on any project... I assume you guys are speaking about "general people unmentioned" but I just wanted to clear the air unless you guys were referring to me.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Deliverme314
I dont know if you guys are reffering to me or other people in general... but you did read that I am not going to right? I was wanting info as I heard this was something that could be done... I always research and communicate with experts before taking on any project... I assume you guys are speaking about "general people unmentioned" but I just wanted to clear the air unless you guys were referring to me.
Nah, we've just steered off-road as is quite usual on this board.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wasn't towards you. The question was more directed at folks who go ahead with a communal set up knowing the odds are against them.
No worries dude. :)

Atrax

noboyscout

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
From what I have observed no one is talking about you Deliverme. They are just venting their frustration and "This particular question". People here are into sharing knowledge and expanding the love of their hobby. They take great care to act responsibly with every good intention for t's safety. Trying to keep Avic T's communally is in general a NO, NO! There will be casualties, so why risk it?
I have been part of this board for 3 weeks and this question has come up at least three times. I can only imagine how many times it was mentioned prior to me being here? Now you can see how frustrated everyone else feels?

:?

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Right on. I figured but I just wanted to make sure that you guys know I may be a newb to the hobby but I know about frustration of fellow lazy hobbiest. I am an intermediate to high level fish keeper and aquatic plants. I have seen many a lazy person buy some beautiful rare plants or fish and throw them in a tank without taking the time to learn about their needs etc... then they are flabergasted when it dies... this pisses me off like crazy. So whatever hobby(especially if it involves life) I become mildly obsessed and spend more than enough time digging and looking through all available info as I want what is best for my little beaties before I do something because I think it would be "cool".

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by noboyscout
I have been part of this board for 3 weeks and this question has come up at least three times. I can only imagine how many times it was mentioned prior to me being here? Now you can see how frustrated everyone else feels?
Judging by the search function it comes up about every 6 days, yes, every six days.

And people wonder why the old fart regulars might be a little curt every now and again...

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
Judging by the search function it comes up about every 6 days, yes, every six days.

And people wonder why the old fart regulars might be a little curt every now and again...
Yeah I am deffinitley more than a little guilty of not using the search function... this is the third time that a situation has been brought to my attention where I should have... sorry about that... guess I am a little lazy after all, huh?

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah I am deffinitley more than a little guilty of not using the search function... this is the third time that a situation has been brought to my attention where I should have... sorry about that... guess I am a little lazy after all, huh?
Just as long as you use it in the future <everyone else reading this had better be paying attention>, no problem... :)

Just so we're still on topic... so, you guys recommend against communal enclosures? ;P

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mister Internet

Just so we're still on topic... so, you guys recommend against communal enclosures? ;P
Where the hell did you get that from?! Pay attention you!

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Why not keep Poecilotheria regalis together if you want to try a communal setup? As long as they are kept from the eggsac together then most Poecilotheria spp. are fine to live communally, they don't even need a great deal of space.
I know someone keeping something like 25 s/a females together.

Another bonus is that hatchling regalis are really cheap, as are ornata. I think I paid something like £8 for 3 recently.

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lopez
Why not keep Poecilotheria regalis together if you want to try a communal setup? As long as they are kept from the eggsac together then most Poecilotheria spp. are fine to live communally, they don't even need a great deal of space.
I know someone keeping something like 25 s/a females together.

Another bonus is that hatchling regalis are really cheap, as are ornata. I think I paid something like £8 for 3 recently.
I am a wuss... read some bite reports on pokies and the muscle paralization and I am now turned off to them... i think they are gorgeous... I would love them... I dont mind aggressive species. I expect at some point I will get bit and it will hurt but I dont want to go through the symptoms that I have read that pokies give. It sounded like hell.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am a wuss... read some bite reports on pokies and the muscle paralization and I am now turned off to them... i think they are gorgeous... I would love them... I dont mind aggressive species. I expect at some point I will get bit and it will hurt but I dont want to go through the symptoms that I have read that pokies give. It sounded like hell.
Fair enough, that's a responsible attitude to take, rather than rush in with a spider you are uncomfortable working with. :)

If a proposed eggsac from a friend works out, I'll be raising 5 or possibly even 10 regalis together soon :)

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lopez
Fair enough, that's a responsible attitude to take, rather than rush in with a spider you are uncomfortable working with. :)

If a proposed eggsac from a friend works out, I'll be raising 5 or possibly even 10 regalis together soon :)
Thats freaking awesome. Gah... It pisses me off because they are up there in my fave if not my absolute favorite(Pokies genus as a whole not necessarily Regalis specifically... but by default they are as a pokie:) ) I can just see them running up my arm one day doing maintenance or if I have to remove them for one reason or another and biting me like the reports I read. My C.Crawshayi will no doubt try at some point probobly my A.Geniculata when they get bigger... but as a terrestrial species my gut tells me that they will be easier to control and avoid. They are both excellent climbers obvisouly... but at least they dont start at the top of the tank so hope fully I would be able to have a head start if they decide to make a break for it. maybe my logic is flawed and there is just as much chance of being bitten... but if I am by one of these guys it wont be near as bad. Even The king baboon I have heard isnt as bad as many say.