A sign that spring is here....= P

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Make sure you check your lid before you slap it on.....lol. I grabbed my helmet, walked up to my bike, and this cute lil' guy slithered out onto my forearm and I almost choked on my "easter eggs" when our eyes met. I have to add, that under no circumstances should you intentionally handle hot snakes, a bite from this guy/gal would land you a stay at the nearest ICU.

My roomate said "lucky you", I call it fortune, as these guys are hard to find any where near here. Ill post some better pics tomarrow with a real camera rather than a cell phone....;)

Last edited:

Bedlam

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure I'd have a heart attack if that happened to me.
The LAST thing I'd do is pick it up for a photo op. hehe

rollinkansas

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If that picture is really you, you might be the dumbest person Ive run into on the internet. Its going to be because of people like you that make it even harder for others to legitimately own hot snakes once you get bit. The last thing people in the reptile community need is to see more news about someone in the hospital from getting bit from a rattler.

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Guys, It sounds like the snake crawled onto his hand on its own accord with out his knowing it. He then took the once in a lifetime opportunity to take a photo of it. I know i would have.
~Samuel

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Whoa! That happened to me too with a coral snake. Even though they are not crazy strikers, I was still a little worried. I was just a teenager. I had a big rattler get lose in my truck once too... for 2 weeks!, and I didn't even know it until I got in my truck one day and saw the 4+ footer on the dash right behind the steering wheel, just sitting there ( a Timber rat). That thing was so calm I probably could have played with it but:embarrassed: . Glad everything worked out for you:cool: .

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
last thing i would think to do is take a picture. I would be focusing on getting the animal off without harming it, or more importantly it harming me!

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
If that picture is really you, you might be the dumbest person Ive run into on the internet. Its going to be because of people like you that make it even harder for others to legitimately own hot snakes once you get bit. The last thing people in the reptile community need is to see more news about someone in the hospital from getting bit from a rattler.
Thats an interesting statement from someone who doesnt know a thing aout me....lol. Ive had hots for years, from hatchlings to adults.... ALL wc by me. The closest ive been prior was tailing adults (riskier in my opinon) If you actually read the post then you really shouldnt even respond. IT was already on my arm, no point in flinging it acorss the room or panicing. Its people like you that keep the boards cluttered with pent up frustrations your too idle to take care of in person....

Last edited:

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
I had a big rattler get lose in my truck once too... for 2 weeks!, and I didn't even know it until I got in my truck one day and saw the 4+ footer on the dash right behind the steering wheel, just sitting there ( a Timber rat
We dont have timbers out here, but at work they make there way inside of trucks/cars on a regular basis. Our PL is next to a field between 2 of the fastest growing areas btween Sac and Frisco, making the marshes around the warehouse prime hunting grounds for all kinds of goodies.

rollinkansas

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thats an interesting statement from someone who doesnt know a thing aout me....lol. Ive had hots for years, from hatchlings to adults.... ALL wc by me. The closest ive been prior was tailing adults (riskier in my opinon) If you actually read the post then you really shouldnt even respond. IT was already on my arm, no point in flinging it acorss the room or panicing. Its people like you that keep the boards cluttered with pent up frustrations your too idle to take care of in person....
I worked with them too...owning hots all wc means absolutely nothing, except that you can go outside and catch them. If youve worked with them for so long, then you would know how dangerous it is to touch it any more than you had to. And yes I did read your post...it crawled onto your arm...but who are you trying to impress by taking a picture of you holding it?

Pent up frustrations? If you are a reptile keeper, youd know how bad people are trying to get the laws cracked down on them, and pictures like this dont exactly help, especially, if god forbid you got bit. But then again, that would be Darwinism at its finest.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I saw this thread last night and said to myself "imagine that!". Cool find dude, fortunate it didn't nip you when you picked the helmet up. Probaly still a little cold for it to go crazy on you, who knows if you would have been so lucky in the middle of August. lol Good luck with it.

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I worked with them too...owning hots all wc means absolutely nothing, except that you can go outside and catch them. If youve worked with them for so long, then you would know how dangerous it is to touch it any more than you had to. And yes I did read your post...it crawled onto your arm...but who are you trying to impress by taking a picture of you holding it?

Pent up frustrations? If you are a reptile keeper, youd know how bad people are trying to get the laws cracked down on them, and pictures like this dont exactly help, especially, if god forbid you got bit. But then again, that would be Darwinism at its finest.
I agree totally. Anybody posting pictures of themselves holding a Rattlesnake is only trying to either:

A-Start a flamewar.
B-Attempt to impress people.

I'm not impressed. I'm just kind of surprised that YOU were surprised by the reaction you got by posting that pic. :? :wall:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer

:worship: well siad, I'm not impressed.

I would of looked for a nice place to set it down, then looked for cell/camera.:?

Later, Tom

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
I agree totally. Anybody posting pictures of themselves holding a Rattlesnake is only trying to either:

A-Start a flamewar.
B-Attempt to impress people.

I'm not impressed. I'm just kind of surprised that YOU were surprised by the reaction you got by posting that pic. :? :wall:
Niether of the above. Under no circumstance could I ever hold one of my others, the imression thing....laughable. It was was a freak instance I took advantage (I i did a bit more than push the envelope) of as there was another body with a camera within smacking range. Tha last thing I need Is to impress either of you, lol. We have all been on the boards fr a Long time. The suprise, there was none nor implied. Expected, of course. Come out to Vacaville and well go into the fields, breeding season is here...:D Not too much else for me to say, no offense taken..no foul, just another one of "those" discussions....

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm curious as to what "advantage" there was to recklessly handling a venomous snake, and then posting pictures of yourself doing so on a public forum? Please..enlighten me.

rollinkansas

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm curious as to what "advantage" there was to recklessly handling a venomous snake, and then posting pictures of yourself doing so on a public forum? Please..enlighten me.

And then claims hes not trying to impress anybody, yet posts the picture in the first place, and makes it his avatar:?

I think we have an amateur snake charmer on our hands {D

I love how he states this is a PM:

"If I had pranced around and starred at it yeah im dumb. In this case, no Im not, nor am I ever. I read them very well, know the strike zone very well, let alone many other factors that vary in every situation."

He knows the strike zones of these guys, yet its sitting in his hand:? Can someone explain the logic behind that?

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Recklessly handling? So anyone that ever handles a hot snake ever is reckless? So Steve Austin, Steve Irwin, Rob Bredl, and a host of others are all reckless? Don't think so. It was already on his arm, he took (actually got someone else to take) a picture. Give it a rest people... You are not better because you never touch a hot, whatever the circumstances (as a chance occurence even offends you people)
If he did get bit, how would that affect the keeping of hots? IT WAS WILD.
If he knows the temperment, he knows, its not rocket science, its observation and experience. Snakes don't bite for the fun of it.

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
And then claims hes not trying to impress anybody, yet posts the picture in the first place, and makes it his avatar:?

I think we have an amateur snake charmer on our hands {D

I love how he states this is a PM:

"If I had pranced around and starred at it yeah im dumb. In this case, no Im not, nor am I ever. I read them very well, know the strike zone very well, let alone many other factors that vary in every situation."

He knows the strike zones of these guys, yet its sitting in his hand:? Can someone explain the logic behind that?
I think youve made your point...lol. Not really gonna dig into me. You sound like a kid with nothing todo but bash.
David, thought you were better than that...
Nothing more than another flamer, and youve been dealing for the last couple years...wow. Im done talikng to either of you on this thread, go find an avitar of the week or something. Just leave the thread be. Or come herping with me. Vacaville ca, If your ever up here Ill show you some nice grounds for snakes. Seriously, lets move on handle this off the thread.

rollinkansas

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If he did get bit, how would that affect the keeping of hots? IT WAS WILD.
If he knows the temperment, he knows, its not rocket science, its observation and experience. Snakes don't bite for the fun of it.

Last thing Ill say on this topic...and you can agree or disagree..

If he was walking through the woods and got bit, then no, it probably wouldnt have an effect on the keeping of hots. But if you got bit, while trying to take a picture of it on your hand, it would have an effect.

Secondly, he doesnt know the temperment of that snake. Its the hot snake your most comfortable with that will be the one to bite you.