A sick 'T'?

Xochie

Arachnopeon
Yesterday when I can home from work with some crickets for Chorlette (original, huh), she looked 'different'. Her legs are almost tucked in under her. Maybe this is what she looks like when she is hiding in her 'bark-cave home', but she is scaring me. I have taken her out of her normal cage to see if she'll 'come out of it', but she has not moved an inch. She had just molted about 2 weeks ago. Could she be sick? Should I be worried? This is the first time this has happened. :confused:

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Have you noticed any changes after the molt? A bad molt sometimes
isn't obvious immediately. Check to see if fangs and mouth parts look normal.
If you kept the molted skin, you can check for abnormalities by examining it.
You my have to dampen the exuvium first so it will stay flexible and so it wont
fall apart.

a few questions also 1. How large is the spider? Adult?
2. What are you using for bedding material(substrate)
3. Are you using a heat pad or light bulb for heating?

Xochie

Arachnopeon
Charlette is an adult female (someone local sexed her for me), I used a peet moss combo the pet store recommended when I enlarged her tank. Nothing out of the ordinary about her last molt (best molt she has had in a while). She has been reacting to stimuli (i moved her slightly with my finger), but not like she used too. I don't use any heat lamp or heating pads (should I? I thought they might dry the 'T' out to much). Any other suggestions?

Xochie

Arachnopeon
Oh yea, she is approx 5" (My husband saw her on the top of her cage the night before this all happened...I wonder if she fell (can spiders fall?)

malowie

Arachnopeon
yes, spiders can fall. they can injure their abdomen. if you can see its abdomen bleeding, hurry and use super glue as the remedy. it might help if the wound is minor.

the same thing happened to my nhandu chromatus. it will position its legs like what u said and in the end it died.thats waht i see though...

good luck to u.

Xochie

Arachnopeon
if she did fall, there isn't any blood, just kind of lethargic in movement

Xochie

Arachnopeon
Yay!! Good news..... My 'T' is fine now, looking for food and back to norm. I did change her bedding and cleaned everything that was inside (with just water of course). I placed her back inside her cage and she went directly to her favorite hiding spot (which is small hallowed out tree log).
Thanx everyone for the feedback :D

Xochie

Arachnopeon
I am also happy to announce that my 'T' ate her first post-molt cricket!!! YAY! wow, when other ppl refer to their 'T' having a bad molt, I now know what they are referring too!!