A. seemanni

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I rarely see CB slings of this species and heard there aren't many who have a CB seemani. I was just wondering why. Are they hard to breed or what?

Ingar

Arachnopeon
There are many reasons. This is wery hard to do in captive. The reason still not enough explored. There is always misunderstundings between sexes, as I heard :D

Czalz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
People want cheap, instant satisfaction. For that reason, these, and some others (G. rosea for example) are easier to import for our market than to raise from slings. Though captive breeding has numerous benefits, captive bred tarantulas have a significant price tag attached to them that the cheap imports don't. If I raise any tarantula from 2i through 4"-5", you can bet your buttons I'm not going to sell it for a measly $25....which is not an uncommon price for sub-adults/adults of these species at many pet stores.

G. Pulchra are pretty tricky to breed, but because of their much higher price tag there are many who take the time to breed them. The A. seemani can be brought in at a price that makes it practically worthless to breed (in market terms). I'm sure there are other reasons, but the market itself is a major factor with this species. Unless the importing slows down, breeding this species isn't a very lucrative prospect.

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I may be wrong, but I thought Aphonopelma seemanni were native to Costa Rica and they have closed their borders to exportation. Unless you already have one, CBB are your only option. I think J. Muggleston has a recent sac. If you want males you'll need to buy slings and raise them, which can take years. I have an adult female that I enjoy but finding her a date is improbable. Their are some Aphonoplema sp. Guatemala which are beautiful when freshly molted, have tan spinnerettes like A.seemanni and can be picked up pretty easily since Guatemala still allows exports. I think my female A. sp. Guatemala is really prettier than my A. seemanni. Diane

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They don't seem to be any more difficult than any of the others I've worked with so far.

Czalz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I may be wrong, but I thought Aphonopelma seemani were native to Costa Rica and they have closed their borders to exportation. Unless you already have one, CBB are your only option. I think J. Muggleston has a recent sac. If you want males you'll need to buy slings and raise them, which can take years. I have an adult female that I enjoy but finding her a date is improbable. Diane
You could be right......

I haven't had any of this species (or kept up with them) for at least 6-7 years, so I guess alot could've happened since then. Guess I should have done my homework.

@ Chris

NEW ANSWER:

It won't be too long before there are alot more breeding projects, but the prices will be higher than in years past.