A seemanni fell and ruptured abdomen..

SiegfriedX

Arachnopeon
My adult female A. seemanni fell and it's abdomen ruptured right around its spinneret. Clear liquid was oozing out so I panicked and used superglue to seal the wound before I realized that I probably blocked its anus. :( Is this going to kill my T? Now I am feeling stupid because I fear that the open wound might not be as fatal as a blocked anus...

Arachnoclown

Arachnosquire
Being first aid trained I would have used something natural to stop the bleeding like corn startch...Ive never had a T split it's abdomen in my care...maybe @cold blood can help.

cold blood

Staff member
That's pretty bad...I would be shocked if the t survived.

But yeah, blocking the anus (which may have already been rendered useless) isn't good....ts do die from impaction.

SiegfriedX

Arachnopeon
That's pretty bad...I would be shocked if the t survived.

But yeah, blocking the anus (which may have already been rendered useless) isn't good....ts do die from impaction.
Oh no I really hope it survives... Is there anything I can do at this point? Like removing part of the glue?

cold blood

Staff member
Oh no I really hope it survives... Is there anything I can do at this point? Like removing part of the glue?
I don't know how you could possibly go about removing the glue. I think its just a wait and see....best of luck, crazier things have happened.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Sorry to see that your T is in such bad shape. Best thing you can do is wait and see while you contemplate steps needed to prevent it from happening again.

Ant

Arachnopeon
Hope she's OK although that looks pretty terrible. Can you post some pictures of her enclosure?

Nada

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
there's not much you can do at this point. you can try using some oil on a cottonswab to try and break down the glue a bit; but it looks like you used a pretty significant amount.
for future reference, less is more. try to use as little glue as possible, and only if the would is obviously fatal otherwise.
corn starch,flour, even cigarette ashes are other options
good luck.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You could try some olive oil on a cotton swab to loosen up the glue. Unfortunately, I doubt it will be very effective.
You also run the risk of tearing the abdomen more with additional manipulations.
Acetone will remove superglue from some surfaces, but would kill your spider.
With the spinnerets and nether regions glued down, you can only hope that the spider was near a molt and will molt out, soon.
Just doesn't look very promising.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Not good! I don’t think your T has much chance of surviving this. Even if it tries to molt, that amount of glue would likely cause molt complications.

How did the fall happen?

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Yeah, if the tear was big enough, the glue couldve seeped in and stuck to something important. That could be ugly.

SiegfriedX

Arachnopeon
Thank you guys so much for the replies. The fall was entirely my fault. I let her sit around on my desk (This is the only T in my collection that I handle at all, others are OWs or arboreals) while I was working at my desk. She's usually calm but this time somehow decided to dart towards the edge of the desk and fell ~3 feet onto the hardwood floor. I was dumbfounded. I rehoused her recently so maybe that's why she's behaving a little skittish? She usually moves slowly or does not move at all, so I loosened guard. But that's no excuse for being negligent. :depressed:

I'm at work so I will post a picture of the enclosure when I get home... I checked on her this morning and she was sitting on the side of the enclosure with the glued part submerged in the water dish. I've never seen her doing that before. Maybe she's aware that something's wrong with her rear end and is trying to remove it?

I tried to clear up the liquid (presumably blood?) oozing out using some paper napkin, it was mostly clear liquid with a little bit of orange-ish stuff. The liquid kept oozing out slowly when I applied the glue, and the glue turned into the opaque thing when it touched the liquid. That's why there's a huge mess...

If she manages to molt, how soon will it be? Now I am really worried that it will die from the gluing instead of from the wound. She's my sweetest kitten and all I can do now is to watch her dying entirely due to my stupidity.:(

SiegfriedX

Arachnopeon
Book marking this thread for when a beginner asks whats wrong with handling..

Sorry man, must suck.
Yeah I'm a sterling example... Even the most docile T's can be unpredictable and one should NEVER EVER (kicking myself again) run the risk of them falling onto a hard surface.