A. Seemani Question

Jaydon

Arachnopeon
My A. Seemani created a nice burrow in an enclosure w/ about 5 inches of substrate. Recently (a couple days after the last feeding) it completely sealed itself inside the burrow with dirt. I'm concerned that food and water/moisture can no longer get down there.

Should I trust that it knows what it's doing (possibly getting ready for a molt or something)? Or should I dig it out a little?

Also, I've been reading a lot of conflicting information regarding the humidity level for this species. Some sources say that they prefer high humidity, while others say they prefer low. What should the humidity level be?

Thanks!

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Leave the spider be, if you are worried about the spider being hydrated put a water dish in the tank, if she is in need of hydration she will come out and look for it and find it, I keep mine on the dry side with a water dish, I have had her like this for a few years now, she will seal herself up and not be seen for months, she will come out when she wants...

Regards, Mike

pinkzebra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would trust that it knows what it is doing. I have had Ts close themselves into a burrow for months at a time and then emerge just fine and healthy and most times, not molted. Digging it out is a no-no. You will know if it has passed by a bad smell coming from the enclosure. I had this happen once, with a T getting stuck in it's molt and it started to smell surprisingly soon after death.

I don't know what the recommended humidity level is for an A. seemanni but I know that mine hangs out over her water dish if I keep it as dry as my low humidity lovers. She has two full water dishes and I mist her enclosure once or twice a week and that seems to make her more comfortable. This is in the winter in a dry environment. You may have to adjust that based on the humidity levels in your home.

Good luck!

Jen

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A. seemanis like to dig burrows and hide. If yours has dug a burrow and webbed it over, it seems most likely a moult will follow. Keep the water dish full, and offer crickets on your T's regular schedule. If it wants either the water or the crickets it will come out to get them.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mine did the exact same thing a week after I got her. She's been there for three months, with no signs of emerging. If she's done one thing to ease my mind though, it was to dig her burrow all the way to the bottom glass. If I slide her tank off the shelf a bit, I can see her sitting in her burrow, alive and well, and un-molted. Have you checked the bottom of your tank by any chance?

Jaydon

Arachnopeon
Luckily it dug to the bottom and edge of the 5 gallon enclosure. I keep a piece of cardboard on that side of the enclosure to minimize the amount of light getting in, but I can peak in on it whenever.

It just seemed unusual to me that it would wall itself in, and I wanted to make sure that it was normal. I've only been in the hobby for a little over a year, and even though I've learned a lot I'm still a little paranoid that I’m going to mess something up, or that I’m not doing something right. Thanks for your help!

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Be prepared, it may be months before you see you A. seemani emerge again.

They tend to disapear for months before a moult. (at least mine does)

Perhaps it's time to start researching and shopping for a more visual species.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
moult soon?

i have a seemani and within the last few months, the hairs on the abdomen have fallen off and left a bare patch that is tannish in color. more recently (within the week) the bare patch has taken on a blueish-blackish tint. does this mean shes getting ready to moult? she hasn't eaten in awhile and seems kinda sluggish.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That's exactly what that means. The bluish-black tint you see is her new exoskeleton (with a fresh patch of hair) developing underneath. If she's a bigger T, a moult could still be a while off though.