A.Seemani coloration

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a question concerning the color of my Zebra...

How common is is for an A. Seemani to be brown rather than black? Mine is not even close to black, more of a brown/cinnomon color.

Is this uncommon? I ask because all of the pics I see are of black ones.

-Charlie

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

this is common, there are black and brown color costa rican zebras so dont worry about it! And it is i would think uncommon for a zebra to be brown!

James

P.S- Can you get a pic?

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Depends on where they came from..

Zebras have a pretty good sized range and the coloration varies throughout it. The ones from Costa Rica are they black and white ones where from other parts of their range they have a brown coloration to them.

Phil

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine's brown also, as you can see in her pics on my web site...whatever the color, they're great spiders.

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you!

Thank you very much for all of your replies!

Joy, My Zebra is the exact same coloration as yours but I have a question for you....

How in the world do you get your spiders to eat so well???!!!

Those things are fat! Even the slings are fat! What's your secret?

-Charlie

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Re: Thank you!

Originally posted by Charlie
Thank you very much for all of your replies!

Joy, My Zebra is the exact same coloration as yours but I have a question for you....

How in the world do you get your spiders to eat so well???!!!

Those things are fat! Even the slings are fat! What's your secret?

-Charlie
Charlie, I don't know how to explain it! It doesn't seem to me I feed my spiders excessively much or excessively often, but people comment on their size so much that it appears I must be doing something to encourage it!

As spiderlings I usually feed them a combination of crickets, chopped up mealworms, and tiny bits of beef heart. As they get older, I usually cut out the crickets and go to superworms, with occasional use of pinkie mice and beef heart. I feed my adult specimens once a week at most, and many just once a month. The only thing I can figure is that superworms are more fattening than the mainly cricket diet most people use. I wouldn't think so, based on their nutritional analysis, but otherwise I don't see any way to explain it.

Joy

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Beef Heart?

Beef Heart?

Wow, I didn't even know that they would eat that. How do you prepare it? I mean do you have to warm it to a certain tempurature?

As far as the superworms go, I think I may just switch to them for a while. I tried once before but they kept on digging under the soil and I could not get my rosie to eat them.

I am going to try it again though. Please also tell me how you get your T's to eat beef heart because I would like to try that.

-Charlie

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Re: Beef Heart?

Originally posted by Charlie
Beef Heart?

Wow, I didn't even know that they would eat that. How do you prepare it? I mean do you have to warm it to a certain tempurature?

As far as the superworms go, I think I may just switch to them for a while. I tried once before but they kept on digging under the soil and I could not get my rosie to eat them.

I am going to try it again though. Please also tell me how you get your T's to eat beef heart because I would like to try that.

-Charlie
I have heard of people tying pieces of beef heart on a string and jiggling it in front of them, but that's not really necessary IME. All I do is set it on a jar lid where the tarantula is likely to encounter it (in front of their burrow or retreat entrance is ideal), and generally they take it very readily. It's a cheap and convenient source of nourishment, but isn't recommended as their sole diet since it is wholly muscle tissue and thus not as nutritionally complete as vertebrate foods like pinkie mice.

BTW, other types of lean meat are also suitable for T's. I've heard of people using chicken breast and whole shrimp among other things.

Joy