A question Wal*Mart didn't know the answer to

luna

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh man this is going to sound bad but.

Yes becca is right queen will do it.

I, a 30 year old, 6'5 250lbs guy walked out of wal mart with queen pantyhose, the cheap kind they stretch better, Vaseline, a salad tosser, two plastic shoe boxes, heavy version tampons, and a harry potter video.

The girl at the counter just gasped and checked me out, it was the funniest thing. She would not look me in the eye.

Man the things you do for frogs.
I think I can figure out what you are doing with everything on the list but do "the heavy version tampons" have anything do with raising frogs? I just can't imagine...

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you mean to tell me that employees at walmart could not answer that question for you!!????what is this world coming to!!??

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For the tops to keep the flies in? Or inside where we use a napkin.
Yes for the tops to keep fruit flies in. Now I use pieces of sponge cut to appropriate sizes because nothing is simpler.

What do you mean you have napkins inside your fruit fly cultures? That just seems odd... The only thing inside my cultures is fruit fly media.

charlet_2007

Arachnopeon
Oh man this is going to sound bad but.

Yes becca is right queen will do it.

I, a 30 year old, 6'5 250lbs guy walked out of wal mart with queen pantyhose, the cheap kind they stretch better, Vaseline, a salad tosser, two plastic shoe boxes, heavy version tampons, and a harry potter video.

The girl at the counter just gasped and checked me out, it was the funniest thing. She would not look me in the eye.

Man the things you do for frogs.

do you breed frogs? im trying to beed them for my ribbon snake how did you set up there tank/cage?

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
how well will this stuff hold humidity?
right now for my roaches i use the a regurler terrarium top, with plastic wrap on it.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes for the tops to keep fruit flies in. Now I use pieces of sponge cut to appropriate sizes because nothing is simpler.

What do you mean you have napkins inside your fruit fly cultures? That just seems odd... The only thing inside my cultures is fruit fly media.
I use to then added the napkin and 5 times the out put of my cultures, they also stayed productive longer, but that is just me.

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Another great item for mesh tops is no-see-um netting. It can be purchased by the yard at some fabric shops and outdoor stores with a repair department. The holes are about half the size of the holes in window screen. We sell it at REI (yes, I work for REI) for ~$3.00 per yard at 60" wide and it is more flexible than tule or other mesh fabrics as well as having smaller holes. It will not run like hose, and has enough body to sew to other fabrics. I have sewn velcro to it and used adhesive velcro on the tank which makes a great top.

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ahahaha, that sounds great, but I won't even saw a lost button on my husband's shirt, I'm not going to start sewing for my roaches. I use the thick opaque hose in black, it doesn't run and it has the added benefit of darkening the tank. Roaches like dark. Also, it costs less then $3.00 and it's ready to go, right out of the package. The only "work" I do is I tie a knot with the legs, so they don't dangle. Looks fine. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow.

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
He uses the napkins to create more surface area for the flies to breed on, which gives him more flies overall.
Ah that's a good idea. All someone had to do was say surface area and suddenly things become clear. I should try that. I only use about a table spoon of fruit fly media in my fruit fly cultures and if this whole napkin thing works I will use it.